From: Wadeer on
Does anyone know of an after market equivalent to Windows Explorer. The one
that shipped with XP seems currupted because it keeps crashing at the least
opportune moment. Or if you know of a fix short of re-installing XP that
would be great also.
From: Unknown on
Do you mean Internet Explorer by chance??????

From: Wadeer on
No, its also called "My Computer" It's used to display files and folders and
usually crashes, or at least it does on most computers that runs XP that I
have used

From: glee on
It doesn't on any of the computers I use or work on...and that's quite a
few. There are obviously other problems with the computers you see it
happen on. You've given absolutely no information about the system.

You should start by checking for malware. Here are some links that
Robear often posts:

Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!):

Now run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting requested
logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware:
• http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
• http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
• http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
• http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware

Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.

--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+

From: Ol�rin on
Could do with more detail on what you mean by "crashes". Do you get any
error messages? If so, please post the text.

Is it perhaps that Windows Explorer "freezes" when you browse only certain
folders, or folders containing certain files or types of files? Or that the
process "explorer.exe" fails in some way?

It might be worth having a look in the various Event Viewer logs for any
clues at the time of the "crashes" (Start > Run > eventvwr.msc).