From: James Hunter Ross on
Friends,

I always read that "Windows Authentication" security is much more secure
than "SQL Server Authentication" security. (Although I don't quite
understand why, exactly.) I also seem to remember reading that SQL Server
Authentication might be "deprecated" at one point and eventually go away.
(Although I can't say I remember when.)

Is there any buzz about SQL Server Authentication EVER going away? How
could it; don't too many folks rely on it?

I'm just curious since we are doing some research on "future proofing" our
products. Thanks for any thoughts!

James

From: Tibor Karaszi on
Hi James,

I believe that MS at one point in time had the idea to eventually get rid of
SQL logins. But later realized that this won't happen, so they instead added
functionality to SQL logins in 2005 (pwd policies etc).

For Win logins, the pwd isn't transmitted over the wire. For SQL logins, it
is (encrypted by a self sign certificate if I understand things). That might
possibly be one side of "win logins are more secure". But I also have a
feeling that this notion also dates back a bit (for instance before we had
pwd policies, not to mention those times when default pwd for sa were NULL).

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp