From: Iain on
Alexey Smirnov wrote:

> So, I manually created app\identity\ASPNET_SETREG under
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE and added two binary keys for userName and
> password. I copied binary contents from the keys created by
> aspnet_setreg and run the test site again. It works! Now asp.net is
> able to find registry settings. I am not sure why aspnet_setreg
> creates settings under wrong keys. Perhaps we should report about this
> problem to Microsoft, as far as I see there is nothing on this on
> MSDN.
>
> Hope this helps.

Hi Alexey

Thanks for the reply. I've checked my settings and the following
registry key that I am trying to read exists :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\app\Identity\ASPNET_SETREG

So it seems aspnet_setreg has created the correct registry entry.

The problem I reckon is down to permissions. I had the same eror message
on another machine, but adding the ASPNET user to have read access to
this key solved the problem. On Windows Server 2008 (where the web page
is hosted) doesn't have a ASPNET user. Someone recommended adding
"NETWORK SERVICE" to have read access to the above key but this didn't
solve the problem.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Iain

From: Iain on
Alexey Smirnov wrote:
> hm. that's strange... why it is different for me.
>
> Regarding your problem. What settings are you using? Mode=Classic? In
> the web.config file <identity impersonate="false/true"/> ?
>
> Make a test page to see what account is running
>
> <%@Page>
>
> Hello, <%=System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent().Name
> %>
Test page returns the domain I'm part of and my username, for example

mydomain/iain

For mode, do you mean <authentication mode> , if so this is set to :

<authentication mode="Windows"/>

Other setting is :

<identity impersonate="true"
userName="registry:HKLM\SOFTWARE\app\identity\ASPNET_SETREG,userName"
password="registry:HKLM\SOFTWARE\app\identity\ASPNET_SETREG,password"
/>