From: GoGaTech on
I had same problem and this is how you fix it without a request or a download:

1. Disable Windows Update:

(a) Start->all programs->accessories->run-> Type services.msc and press ok
(b) Right click on "Windows Update"->Click on stop (Windows Update is now
disabled)

2. Rename Software Distribution folder
a. Navigate to: C:/Windows/
b. Find the folder named: “SoftwareDistribution”
c. Rename that folder to something like “SoftwareDistribution.old”
d. Create a new folder called “SoftwareDistribution”
3. Enable Windows Update
a. Click on start
b. Click on all programs
c. Click on accessories
d. Click on Run
e. Type services.msc and press ok
f. Right click on windows update
g. Click on start

If you are unable to find Software Distribution Folder, follow these
steps before #2 above.
1. From the explorer window press the Alt key to view the file menu.
2. Click Tools
3. Select Folder Options
4. Select the View tab
5. Select “Show hidden files and folders”
6. Remove the selection from “Hide protected operating system files”
7. Click OK