From: Moggie on

"Jhonatan ( Jhondrew125(a)hotmail.com)" wrote:

> error message shows up Code 646 : Windows Update encountered an unknown
> error. i try clicking on 'get help with this error 'and it doesnt help at
> all i try to re-update again and yet nothing same error fix this please i
> have Windonws Vista Home Premiun .

I'm getting this error, too and I have Windows Vista Home as well. Please
help with this because the little download icon won't go away either. Thanks.
From: MowGreen on
For Office updates, the 646 error is usually resolved by inserting the
Office CD *prior* to the attempted installation of the updates or by
manually downloading the full file versions of the updates from the MS
Download Center and then installing them manually:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

From: Andrew on
I have the same problem and the icon won't get out of the system tray. But
when I go to Microsoft directly and attempt to download the updates which
supposedly failed, I am given the message that I don't need these updates
since they are already properly installed on my computer.

Therefore I believe it is some glitch in Windows Update program and not
factual that the installs failed. Apparently since we are all getting the
same error message it isn't our individual computers but the Windows Update
program which is malfunctioning.

My fiancee is a computer IT person...she said that happens to her once in
awhile so just leave it alone and eventually it will go away.

From: Shenan Stanley on
Andrew wrote:
> I have the same problem and the icon won't get out of the system
> tray. But when I go to Microsoft directly and attempt to download
> the updates which supposedly failed, I am given the message that I
> don't need these updates since they are already properly installed
> on my computer.
>
> Therefore I believe it is some glitch in Windows Update program and
> not factual that the installs failed. Apparently since we are all
> getting the same error message it isn't our individual computers
> but the Windows Update program which is malfunctioning.
>
> My fiancee is a computer IT person...she said that happens to her
> once in awhile so just leave it alone and eventually it will go
> away.

Now that's funny.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Michael on
"Andrew" <Andrew(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My fiancee is a computer IT person...she said that happens to her once in
> awhile so just leave it alone and eventually it will go away.

Your fiancée needs to quit her day job and specialize in something more
useful, say, oralization.
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.