From: CMA6 on
At end of bootup I have started getting following message for the last 10 days:
Windows Registry Recovery: One of the files conataining the system's
registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The
recovery was successful.

I click OK and I'm alright. But this is distracting and new. Any
suggestions on how to proceed? Is there a way to fix the registry so that
this will not recur?
Thanks, CMA
From: philo on
CMA6 wrote:
> At end of bootup I have started getting following message for the last 10 days:
> Windows Registry Recovery: One of the files conataining the system's
> registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The
> recovery was successful.
>
> I click OK and I'm alright. But this is distracting and new. Any
> suggestions on how to proceed? Is there a way to fix the registry so that
> this will not recur?
> Thanks, CMA

better run a RAM test first
From: John Wunderlich on
=?Utf-8?B?Q01BNg==?= <CMA6(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> At end of bootup I have started getting following message for the
> last 10 days: Windows Registry Recovery: One of the files
> conataining the system's registry data had to be recovered by use
> of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful.
>
> I click OK and I'm alright. But this is distracting and new. Any
> suggestions on how to proceed? Is there a way to fix the registry
> so that this will not recur?

This error indicates that one of the registry files could not be read
correctly at boot-up from the disk. This could be an isolated disk
sector problem or the beginning of your hard drive going bad.

Step 1 would be to backup all your critical data on another disk
Step 2 would be to run "chkdsk" to verify the integrity of your disk
and map out any bad sectors:
Start->Run-> chkdsk c: /R
or
R-click on C: drive->Properties->Tools(tab)->Check Now (check both
boxes then "Start").

You will have to restart your computer to execute the check. The
test takes a while, so do it when you won't need your computer for a
while.

If the problem persists after that, consider that your disk may be
going bad and keep frequent backups.

HTH,
John
From: Jose on
On Mar 31, 7:24 pm, CMA6 <C...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> At end of bootup I have started getting following message for the last 10 days:
>  Windows Registry Recovery: One of the files conataining the system's
> registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The
> recovery was successful.
>
>    I click OK and I'm alright. But this is distracting and new. Any
> suggestions on how to proceed? Is there a way to fix the registry so that
> this will not recur?
>                          Thanks, CMA

You can run a RAM test if you want - you may find instructions
helpful:

Run a test of your RAM with memtest86+ (I know it is boring and will
cost you a CD).

Memtest86+ is a more up to date version of the old memtest program and
they are not the same.

The memtest86+ will not run under Windows, so you will need to
download the ISO file and create a bootable CD, boot on that and then
run the memtest86+ program.

If even a single error is reported that is a failure and should make
you suspicious of your RAM.

If you have multiple sticks of RAM you may need to run the test on
them one at a time and change them out to isolate the failure to a
particular single stick. Always keep at least the first bank of RAM
occupied so the test will find something to do and there is enough to
boot your system.

Sometimes, reseating the RAM in the slots will relieve the error but a
failure is still cause for suspicion.

The file and instructions are here:

http://www.memtest.org/

If someone says to run memtest86, you can say that you know memtest86+
supercedes memtest86 and here's why:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memtest86
From: Jose on
On Mar 31, 7:24 pm, CMA6 <C...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> At end of bootup I have started getting following message for the last 10 days:
>  Windows Registry Recovery: One of the files conataining the system's
> registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The
> recovery was successful.
>
>    I click OK and I'm alright. But this is distracting and new. Any
> suggestions on how to proceed? Is there a way to fix the registry so that
> this will not recur?
>                          Thanks, CMA

You can run a chkdsk when your system boots but you may then be
curious to know the results:

When chkdsk runs automatically on a reboot, the results are shown in
the Event Viewer Application log.

To see the Event Viewer logs, click Start, Settings, Control Panel,
Administrative Tools, Event Viewer.

A shortcut to Event Viewer is to click Start, Run and in the box
enter:

%SystemRoot%\system32\eventvwr.msc

Click OK to launch the Event Viewer.

Look in the Application log for an event sourced by Winlogon,
something like:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.

39070048 KB total disk space.
25151976 KB in 78653 files.
48256 KB in 10264 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
237080 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
13632736 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
9767512 total allocation units on disk.
3408184 allocation units available on disk.

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.