From: JC on
I am unable to apply the following update;

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 Security Update for Windows
2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows
Server 2008 R2 (KB953297)

Recieve the following error code: 0x64C

What are your suggestions for successful update?

Thanks
From: KA on
How is this problem resolved?????

From: S Rudman S on
I have the exact problem and can't find a solution. I've tried the
solutions microsoft says but that doesn't work. I need a solution.
sr

From: MowGreen on
0x64C (1612)ERROR_INSTALL_SOURCE_ABSENT
The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that
the source exists and that you can access it.

Try the Fixit here:
How to fix MSI software update registration corruption issues
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971187

" After you install software updates, repairs or uninstalls for certain
products may fail. If you have MSI logging enabled, the following lines
are found in the log:

Couldn't find local patch ''. Looking for it at its source.

MainEngineThread is returning 1612 "

Suggest you *save* MicrosoftFixit50123.msi when prompted to either run
or save it. Once the download completes close ALL open programs and
browsers.
To avoid interference by 3rd party software (*especially* security
software), it would be best to boot XP to a clean state:

How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

Once XP has been started to the clean boot state, run
MicrosoftFixit50123.msi.
Restart the system once the Fixit has finished it's operation.
Now see if KB953297 installs.

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"

From: bsw on
That worked - I turned off my Norton and other virus programs temporarily;
ran the Fixit; and then installed the download. Glad it turned out to be an
easy fix for my computer at least.