From: Registered_User on

if you can research and follow directions, then you can edit your
registry. honestly, you should get in the habit of re-installing
windows and all of your programs once or twice a year. face it, windows
sucks.

the message you are getting about missing logon.exe... somehow at some
point in time, your pc got infected. a file named logon.exe was created
and hidden in your filesystem. at the same time, one of your registry
entries was modified, to make your shell call on this new file named
"logon.exe", along with the required "explorer.exe". once your
antivirus got the definitions for this particular infection, it found
the "logon.exe" file and deleted it or put it in the vault.

your antivirus will not edit your registry... so now that the file is
gone, every time you start your computer, when the shell starts, it
still looks for that file.

start -> run -> regedit.

search for logon.exe

there will be an entry named "Shell". double click to open it. the
data for this will contain "Explorer.exe Logon.exe". simply remove the
word "logon.exe", close, and you're done.

** DO NOT DELETE "Explorer.exe" IT IS THE HEART OF WINDOWS AND IS
REQUIRED FOR IT TO OPERATE ** (if you don't believe me, then just open
task manager and kill the process "explorer.exe" and see what happens.
don't worry you won't hurt anything, you'll just have to do a manual
reboot..)

this issue can pertain to other variants of viruses/crapware, just
using a different name. i have seen many different viruses use the
shell to start the infected file during boot. If this is too difficult
of a task to do to fix the problem, or just trying to find it in
MSCONFIG (cause it ain't there... it's ONLY in the registry), then maybe
it's time you switch to linux. since you don't know windows, then it
would be super easy for you to learn on linux and be safer and faster.

From: Jose on
On Nov 8, 10:59 pm, Registered_User <Registered_User.
41d...(a)no.email.invalid> wrote:
> if you can research and follow directions, then you can edit your
> registry.  honestly, you should get in the habit of re-installing
> windows and all of your programs once or twice a year.  face it, windows
> sucks.
>
> the message you are getting about missing logon.exe...  somehow at some
> point in time, your pc got infected.  a file named logon.exe was created
> and hidden in your filesystem.  at the same time, one of your registry
> entries was modified, to make your shell call on this new file named
> "logon.exe", along with the required "explorer.exe".  once your
> antivirus got the definitions for this particular infection, it found
> the "logon.exe" file and deleted it or put it in the vault.
>
> your antivirus will not edit your registry... so now that the file is
> gone, every time you start your computer, when the shell starts, it
> still looks for that file.
>
> start -> run -> regedit.
>
> search for logon.exe
>
> there will be an entry named "Shell".  double click to open it.  the
> data for this will contain "Explorer.exe Logon.exe".  simply remove the
> word "logon.exe", close, and you're done.
>
> ** DO NOT DELETE "Explorer.exe"  IT IS THE HEART OF WINDOWS AND IS
> REQUIRED FOR IT TO OPERATE **  (if you don't believe me, then just open
> task manager and kill the process "explorer.exe" and see what happens.
> don't worry you won't hurt anything, you'll just have to do a manual
> reboot..)
>
> this issue can pertain to other variants of viruses/crapware, just
> using a different name.  i have seen many different viruses use the
> shell to start the infected file during boot.  If this is too difficult
> of a  task to do to fix the problem, or just trying to find it in
> MSCONFIG (cause it ain't there... it's ONLY in the registry), then maybe
> it's time you switch to linux.  since you don't know windows, then it
> would be super easy for you to learn on linux and be safer and faster.

Should I really get in the habit of re-installing Windows and all my
programs once or twice a year?

According to systeminfo, my XP Original Install Date is 1/21/2003. I
reckon I am in big trouble!
From: skuffer on

Here is where logon.exe is found in my registry.

NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Apparently a Trojan named Agent_r.OT
The object that AVG finds affected is tdlwsp.dll located ini
win\system32

This doesn't seem to have been noted by anyone. Am I safe to edit the
"logon.exe" out of the registry entry?

Sk

From: Max on
This solution worked well for me - only note I'd make is I found the
logon.exe command under the windowsN =>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/WindowsNT/Current version/Run

From: Max on
....and and FYI, I found the "explorer.exe logon.exe" under my "Windows NT"
directory. I looked and looked under Windows and didn't find it. Then I
looked in Windows NT and there is was hidded. Thanks for your posts - they
helped me fix my laptop (first time I've been able to do this without
"...taking it in")

"Registered_User" wrote:

> if you can research and follow directions, then you can edit your
> registry. honestly, you should get in the habit of re-installing
> windows and all of your programs once or twice a year. face it, windows
> sucks.
>
> the message you are getting about missing logon.exe... somehow at some
> point in time, your pc got infected. a file named logon.exe was created
> and hidden in your filesystem. at the same time, one of your registry
> entries was modified, to make your shell call on this new file named
> "logon.exe", along with the required "explorer.exe". once your
> antivirus got the definitions for this particular infection, it found
> the "logon.exe" file and deleted it or put it in the vault.
>
> your antivirus will not edit your registry... so now that the file is
> gone, every time you start your computer, when the shell starts, it
> still looks for that file.
>
> start -> run -> regedit.
>
> search for logon.exe
>
> there will be an entry named "Shell". double click to open it. the
> data for this will contain "Explorer.exe Logon.exe". simply remove the
> word "logon.exe", close, and you're done.
>
> ** DO NOT DELETE "Explorer.exe" IT IS THE HEART OF WINDOWS AND IS
> REQUIRED FOR IT TO OPERATE ** (if you don't believe me, then just open
> task manager and kill the process "explorer.exe" and see what happens.
> don't worry you won't hurt anything, you'll just have to do a manual
> reboot..)
>
> this issue can pertain to other variants of viruses/crapware, just
> using a different name. i have seen many different viruses use the
> shell to start the infected file during boot. If this is too difficult
> of a task to do to fix the problem, or just trying to find it in
> MSCONFIG (cause it ain't there... it's ONLY in the registry), then maybe
> it's time you switch to linux. since you don't know windows, then it
> would be super easy for you to learn on linux and be safer and faster.
>

> .
>
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: FAT32 CRC implementation