From: JimAA on
I'm using Symantec Anti-Virus subscription and updates are current. I had a
trial version of McAfee preloaded when I bought my computer three years ago
but removed it and went to Norton 360 and now am using Symantec Anti-Virus.
Only firewall I know of is Windows Firewall. I use Mozilla Thunderbird for
e-mail which has a Junk filter. I upgraded my RAM about a year ago and
that's when the problem really got worse. My computer knowledge is very
basic. I hope I described this correctly.

From: JimAA on
Yes, I see this when navigating for a photo file in Explorer. Example, I'm
not able to change my desktop wallpaper because when I search for a photo
file it encounters an error and closes.
I read about disabling third party browser extensions in this newsgroup as a
way to solve the problem but it didn't work. I just read in this group that
mixing memory speeds may cause this problem. I upgraded a while ago but not
sure what speed I bought. I won't be able to check that out until later today
or try the ShellExView. Thanks for your help.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Ugh! Norton and McAfee applications are notorious for not uninstalling (or
upgrading) cleanly. There's a very good chance that Symantec AntiVirus
(SAV) never installed properly and hasn't been protecting your computer
properly all along.

How long have you had SAV installed, where/from whom did you purchase it,
and when does your current subscription expire, Jim?