From: Beyond X on
Before purchasing a large-capacity external SATA or USB harddrive (such
as 1 TB) and using it as a system drive, I want to know what will happen
to Windows (e.g. XP) license because I intend to move around the system
drive between more than one computers.
(I understand that MS collects hardware information from the computer in
which a Windows is installed and that license is tied to that particular
computer hardware architecture. Since an "external" harddrive is meant
to be moved from one computer to another, is it supposed to be used as a
storage only?)
From: Daave on
Beyond X wrote:
> Before purchasing a large-capacity external SATA or USB harddrive
> (such as 1 TB) and using it as a system drive, I want to know what
> will happen to Windows (e.g. XP) license because I intend to move
> around the system drive between more than one computers.
> (I understand that MS collects hardware information from the computer
> in which a Windows is installed and that license is tied to that
> particular computer hardware architecture. Since an "external"
> harddrive is meant to be moved from one computer to another, is it
> supposed to be used as a storage only?)

External hard drives are meant for whatever you intend to do with them.
They can hold data only or images of hard drives or you can use one as a
bootable clone.

Is your license OEM or Retail?

How many PCs do you have? Are they identical, hardware-wise? Do they all
have licenses to run (presumably) Windows XP?

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

From: Twayne on
In news:4B52C96B.8090902(a)pop.com,
Beyond X <do-not-mail(a)pop.com> typed:
> Before purchasing a large-capacity external SATA or USB harddrive
> (such as 1 TB) and using it as a system drive, I want to know what
> will happen to Windows (e.g. XP) license because I intend to move
> around the system drive between more than one computers.
> (I understand that MS collects hardware information from the computer
> in which a Windows is installed and that license is tied to that
> particular computer hardware architecture. Since an "external"
> harddrive is meant to be moved from one computer to another, is it
> supposed to be used as a storage only?)

Assuming the various computers will be able to boot from the external drive,
it will work OK. Note that a lot of systems cannot boot from an external
drive, though. Just something to check out. My Dell will, my Gateway won't,
for example.

As for licensing, assuming you have the same revision XP on all the related
computers, you aren't likely to have a problem since they've already been
accepted by WGA. A mix of Home/Pro, or different hardware (# drives,
peripherals, etc. etc.) at update or program download efforts, where the
hardware is checked, could cause some headaches.
Also, only ONE of the computers will be licensed at any point in time to
be booted into XP; none of the others will be legal, unless you have
multiple seats or made prior arrangements with MS or a rep of MS.
Personally I think it's going to be a big headache that might be OK for the
first couple changes, and then a huge PITA. If I had, say, 5 machines, it'd
be pretty stupid IMO to have only one of them usable at any one time. I
normally have two running, sometimes a third laptop.

It'll be interesting to see how this works out for you; hope you'll report
back.

HTH,

Twayne

From: philo on
Beyond X wrote:
> Before purchasing a large-capacity external SATA or USB harddrive (such
> as 1 TB) and using it as a system drive, I want to know what will happen
> to Windows (e.g. XP) license because I intend to move around the system
> drive between more than one computers.
> (I understand that MS collects hardware information from the computer in
> which a Windows is installed and that license is tied to that particular
> computer hardware architecture. Since an "external" harddrive is meant
> to be moved from one computer to another, is it supposed to be used as a
> storage only?)

First off...unless *seriously* hacked...XP will not boot from a USB drive.

eSATA of course is fine as the OS could not possibly distinguish between
internal or external.

That said...Unless the two computers have identical hardware it's a moot
point as XP will (probably) not even boot. In a few rare instances XP
will boot but the hardware will have to be re-configured and then of
course XP will lose it's activation.

Bottom line is you cannot swap one drive between two computers if it's
your "system" drive.

OTOH: If it's used simply for data...then there is no problem.

If you want to use one "system" drive for more than one machine
you will need to use Linux.

It generally reconfigures without a problem to different hardware...
and there are of course no licensing issues.
From: Bruce Chambers on
Beyond X wrote:
> Before purchasing a large-capacity external SATA or USB harddrive (such
> as 1 TB) and using it as a system drive, I want to know what will happen
> to Windows (e.g. XP) license because I intend to move around the system
> drive between more than one computers.

Then you're deliberatling planning on violating the EULA? Are you also
this dishonest when it comes to credit card contracts, mortgages, etc?

> (I understand that MS collects hardware information from the computer in
> which a Windows is installed and that license is tied to that particular
> computer hardware architecture. Since an "external" harddrive is meant
> to be moved from one computer to another, is it supposed to be used as a
> storage only?)

WinXP is explicitly designed so that it *CANNOT* be installed and run
from an external drive, primarily to prevent exactly the sort of
software piracy you're contemplating.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Windows license and external harddrive
Next: Backing Up