From: Gwyddno on
I've read and followed the advice to check BITS and Update are set to
automatic and started but to no avail. I've done all that, then rebooted,
but still can't get Windows to check for updates. I have the updater set to
notify me which updates are available before downloading but as I've tried
setting that to fully automatic and then checking for updates (didn't work)
I'm guessing that's not a factor.

Where do I go from here, please?

I have:
IE 8.0.6001
Vista Home 32 SP2

From: MowGreen on
80070422 ERROR_SERVICE_DISABLED
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because
it has no enabled devices associated with it.

Check to see if the WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service has been
Disabled. The Default Startup type is Manual.
Then click the Log On tab.
What's showing for " Log on as: " ?
It should be showing " This account: Local Service " with the Password
and Confirm password fields already pre-populated.
Hardware Profile should be showing "Undocked Profile " with the Service
showing as Enabled.

The Default Startup types for other services associated with updating
Windows are:

BITS - Manual
COM+ Event System - Automatic (BITS depends on it)
COM+ System Application - Manual (Depends on COM+ Event System)
DCOM Server Process Launcher - Automatic (Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
depends on it)
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) - Automatic (BITS, Windows Installer, Volume
Shadow Copy, Windows Management Instrumentation, and Windows Update
depend on it)
Volume Shadow Copy - Manual
Windows Installer - Manual
Windows Management Instrumentation - Automatic
Windows Modules Installer - Manual
Windows Update - Automatic (Delayed start)
WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery - Manual

MowGreen
================
* -343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

From: Ǝиçεl on
Hello Gwyddno,

It would be a good idea to scan.

I recommend downloading and installing
MalwareBytes' Antimalware (MBAM) and
SUPERAntiSpywaяe (SAS).

Do a full scan with MalwaяeBytes' and
SUPERAntiSpywaяe.

<http://www.superantispyware.com/>

Reboot
-=-

<http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php>
Reboot
-=-

Please let us know what fixes the problem or if the pяoblem remains
-=-

Good luck

Ǝиçεl
-=-

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
in the background when you installed ___?

it)?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com