From: WGMIII on
I am working on a brand new computer , dual core 64bit, 4 gigs of ram,
terrabyte HD, ATi Graphics card, running Windows 7 64bit Professional. This
computerwas built by an independent IT service guy with years of experience.
The computer runs fine. Work on the internet and shows no problems when
scanned by System Mechanic V9.5 which i just downloaded and installed.

The problem is that it cannot install security and Windows up dates. no
matter how many times I repeat the process. It says it installs some but
after restarting the are not their. The update numbers are KB9734431, 972270,
978207, 976098, 974431 and 977074. Often when I initiate the downloads I get
the Message screen "Some updates were not installed" Succededed: 2 updates
Failed:3 Updates and under Error(s) found, i get the Code 80073683 "Windows
encountered an unknown error"

Restarting the system yields the same results over and over.

Anybody got any ideas?

..--
Bill
From: WGMIII on
Opps error code should be "800736B3" and "Windows Update_dt000"
--
Bill

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
May we assume the computer wasn't upgraded to Win7 64-bit?

Running System Mechanic may have made things worse. If you ever think your
Registry needs to be cleaned, repaired, boosted, tuned-up, cured, or
optimized (it doesn't), read http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw
your own conclusions.

That being said, that's a rather cryptic and seldom-encountered error:

800736B3 ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_NOT_FOUND
The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

You might try running a Reset: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Or run the Windows Update troubleshooter:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Windows-Update-troubleshooter

If push comes to shove...

See the "How to obtain help" section of, e.g.,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972270

(and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United States and in
Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge
for support calls that are associated with security updates. When you call,
clearly state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the
update's KB number (e.g., KB999999).

If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE (e.g.,
KB978207), call the above number and ask to be transferred to the "Consumer
IE queue" (which is 47830).

Or you can...

The Consumer Security Support home page & Microsoft Update Solution Center
also offer support options
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527#tab3

your usual support contacts.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

From: WGMIII on
First PA Bear thank you for your response. It force me to think (made my
head hurt).

I looked at what you said and while not leading to a fix I was persistant
enough to figure out what has been going wrong. I ended up going to the
security update library and manually looking up ad trying to install every
update listed in the group that windows update listid as "failed to install".
What I found almost 100% of all cases, was that these were updates for an AMD
dual core 64bit processor. So the installes would say that the update is not
for this computer whic is running an Intel dual core 64 bit computer. So I
finally hid them. Since then one more like this has cropped up and I hide
that one.

I do not understand why this is happening. these updates for an AMD should
not be being sent to this intel based computer.

I don't really agree with you on the registry cleanup in System Mechanic,
because I have reclaimed the original speed on many a computer that was
crawling. In any event this computer was doing all this before I installed
this software. You and I could debate this software as to merits and
demerits, I was just trying to get to a base line.

As to your question as to whether or not Vista was used on this machine as
an upgrade path ot Windows 7 Pro. I do not know the IT guy that built the
machine will not return phone calls since he could not fix the malfunctions
on his new creation.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
You've only answered one of my questions though methinks the rest of them
wouldn't have anything to do with the issues.

> ...the IT guy that built the
> machine will not return phone calls since he could not fix the
> malfunctions
> on his new creation.

The above is the key to your issues, I'm sure. Did you pay for the computer
with a major credit card?

Pages: 1
Prev: KB 919104
Next: windows can't chek for updates