From: harry.wj on
I have had a wireless network set up between a laptop and my PC which has
worked smoothly for a couple of weeks. Today when I booted up the laptop I
got the message "Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you into
the network " on top of my sys tray icon which now has a yellow triangle and
exclamation mark on it!

I browsed about and discovered this was something to do with encryption. Up
until this problem occuring I hadn't changed any of my router's (SpeedTouch
585) settings whatsoever or on the laptop. I tried putting in a brand new
WPA-PSK key into the router then put it into the laptop, but still the same
problem happens. I don't know is this is related but when I input the new
key into the laptop in Wireless Network Connection Properties>wireless
networks>properties>association hit ok then return to that window it has
gone back to the router's default key, a 10 digit key which doesn't work. I
also tried to repair the connection but that hasn't worked either.

I also read that if, in the network properties>authentication, the "enable
IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network" box is enabled it can lead to
connection problems. But it is unchecked. In fact, even if I wanted to
enable it I can't because the entire box is greyed out. Can someone verify
if this is where I can fix the problem, how this window came to be greyed
out and how to fix it.

So how has this problem occurred and how do I fix it?

Help gratefully received.

Harry

From: Rico on
In article <sLWdnXwaBoXzA5nZnZ2dnUVZ8qGdnZ2d(a)eclipse.net.uk>, "harry.wj" <harry(a)wj.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
>I have had a wireless network set up between a laptop and my PC which has
>worked smoothly for a couple of weeks. Today when I booted up the laptop I
>got the message "Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you into
>the network " on top of my sys tray icon which now has a yellow triangle and
>exclamation mark on it!
>
>I browsed about and discovered this was something to do with encryption. Up
>until this problem occuring I hadn't changed any of my router's (SpeedTouch
>585) settings whatsoever or on the laptop. I tried putting in a brand new
>WPA-PSK key into the router then put it into the laptop, but still the same
>problem happens. I don't know is this is related but when I input the new
>key into the laptop in Wireless Network Connection Properties>wireless
>networks>properties>association hit ok then return to that window it has
>gone back to the router's default key, a 10 digit key which doesn't work. I
>also tried to repair the connection but that hasn't worked either.
>
>I also read that if, in the network properties>authentication, the "enable
>IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network" box is enabled it can lead to
>connection problems. But it is unchecked. In fact, even if I wanted to
>enable it I can't because the entire box is greyed out. Can someone verify
>if this is where I can fix the problem, how this window came to be greyed
>out and how to fix it.
>
>So how has this problem occurred and how do I fix it?
>
>Help gratefully received.
>
>Harry

Turn off encryption and get back to us with the results.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.
From: harry.wj on
Hi

Thanks for replying. I turned off the encrytpion and I can access the
internet on the laptop fine. It's only when I have encryption on that I get
the "Windows was unable to find a certificate..." problem. I had this
problem when I initially tried to set up this shared internet connection,
but solved it when I put a 64 character WPA hex instead of the router's
default 10 charcter WPA key that was printed on the underside of the router.
This seems like a similar problem, although this time I am inoutting a 64
character WPA hex into the router and the laptop and it it now not going
according to plan.

Harry

From: Rico on
In article <wIadnbZ9MOZRg5vZnZ2dnUVZ8qKdnZ2d(a)eclipse.net.uk>, "harry.wj" <harry(a)wj.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
>Hi
>
>Thanks for replying. I turned off the encrytpion and I can access the
>internet on the laptop fine. It's only when I have encryption on that I get
>the "Windows was unable to find a certificate..." problem. I had this
>problem when I initially tried to set up this shared internet connection,
>but solved it when I put a 64 character WPA hex instead of the router's
>default 10 charcter WPA key that was printed on the underside of the router.
>This seems like a similar problem, although this time I am inoutting a 64
>character WPA hex into the router and the laptop and it it now not going
>according to plan.

Hmm, and what you are getting is a 'certificate' (that word in the error
message) error? How are you controling the wireless card in the laptop?
What I mean is, are you using Windows Zero Config set up or is there a
vendor supplied tool? What version of Windows is in play here?

From: harry.wj on
Hi Rico

Windows is controlling everything. I'm using XP Pro SP2 fully updated on
both laptop and PC. The laptop is a split new Dell Inspiron 6000, and has a
Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller and an Intel(R) PRO/Wireless
2200BG Network Connection installed.

I suspect you may suggest switching to allowing the vendor software to
control the wireless connection instead of Windows, but Windows was
controlling the connection and it was working fine for about 1-2 weeks then
this problem just appeared suddenly. Would switching what controls the
connection make a difference?

Thanks again for replying. While I'm tearing my hair out here, I'm getting
zero feedback from folks out there on 4 forums and 5 newsgroups I've tried,
so your interest is gratefully received:-) I'm a total newcomer to all this
wireless shared internet connection stuff and I'm finding it a tough slog up
this near vertical learning curve.