From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
OlsBean wrote:
<snip>> OK I took the bull by the horns, manually editing the permissions on
the
> offending key seems to have worked and I now have a fully working Windows
> Update back.
>
> Thank you to everyone that contributed, helping me solve this issue.

You should understand that a hijackware infection may have caused the
problem.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

From: Calven on

The issue may occur if one of the following factors is true:

1. Security programs running in the background interfere with the
installation of Windows Updates.
2. The permission settings in the System Files and registry are inappropriate.

Let's take the following steps to troubleshoot this issue.

Suggestion 1: Temporarily disable the security programs for troubleshooting
purposes only
Let's first ensure that any Spy Sweeper or firewall programs you have
running are not interfering with Windows Update. Even though you may have had
a Spy Sweeper/firewall accelerator running for some time without any previous
problems accessing Windows Update, new updates for these programs can create
unforeseen issues. For your convenience I have listed some of the more common
applications which may cause conflicts with Windows Update below.

Spy Sweeper
Sygate Personal Firewall
Norton Internet Security
Freedom Firewall
Zone Alarm Firewall

To determine if the above applications are causing the issue, please
temporarily turn them off and see if you can now access the Microsoft Windows
Update website. Please ensure the program is re-enabled after we complete the
troubleshooting steps.

If this issue appears to be related to a firewall program, I recommend that
you contact the firewall manufacturer to obtain the information to configure
the firewall options which allow access to the Windows Update site.

Suggestion 2: Reset permissions
========================
This step will reset the permission settings on this system, which may take
some time. Your patience is highly appreciated.

Step 1: Download SubInACL (SubInACL.exe)
1. Please download the subinacl.msi from the following link and save the
installation patch on the Desktop:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en#AffinityDownloads

2. Please go to the Desktop and double click the downloaded file to install
it.
3. Please select C:\Windows\System32 as the destination folder during the
installation (Note: We assume C:\ is the system partition). Later we will use
this tool to reset the current permission settings on the machine.

Step 2:
-------
1. Click Start, Run, type: notepad C:\reset.cmd and press Enter. Choose Yes
when you are prompted.
2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad
window:

@echo off

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

@Echo =========================
@Echo Finished.
@Echo =========================
@pause

3. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose
Yes when prompted to save the file.
4. Click Start, Run, type: C:\reset.cmd and press Enter to run the commands
pasted.
5. You will see a DOS-like window processing the request.

(NOTE: This step may take several minutes, please be patient. When it is
finished, you will be prompted with "Finished, press any key to continue".)

Best Regards,

Calven

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3