From: keithmi5 on
My Laptop stopped accepting windows updates, gives me the code
WindowsUpdate_80070490" "WindowsUpdate_dt000" acommpanied by Windows cannot
search for updates, any ideas?
From: TaurArian on
0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND
Corrupted System File; Need to perform an in-place upgrade or reinstall of
the OS.

The error you are receiving occurs if there is corruption in the Component
Based Servicing manifest.

Ignore the title : The "Windows Features" dialog box is empty in Windows 7
or Windows Vista, or you receive an error message that includes the
following code when you try to use Windows Update: "0x80073712"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931712
Explains SFC / Scannow"

A repair install is the usual solution of SFC /Scannow doesn't work.

You receive a "0x80070490" error code when you use Windows Update or
Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044

NB: If you've installed SP1 for Vista

Step 7 (method for Windows Vista), the *UPGRADE* option is not available
because SP1 has been installed.

Uninstall SP1 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948537

Also see:

How to overcome error 0x80070490 when installing updates in Windows
Vista/Server 2008
http://blogs.msdn.com/andrekl/archive/2008/09/29/how-to-overcome-error-0x80070490-when-installing-updates-in-windows-vista-server-2008.aspx

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2010 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

From: MowGreen on
keithmi5 can also see if running the latest release of the System Update
Readiness Tool (CheckSUR) helps to resolve the 80070490 error:

Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for
Windows Server 2008, for Windows 7, and for Windows Server 2008 R2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

It surely wouldn't hurt and is less painful than a "Repair Install" or a
Clean reinstall of Vista or Win 7, right ? <w>

MowGreen
* -343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

banthecheck.com