From: Brian V on
I have recently looked at some wireless keyboards. Some that are microsoft
keyboards mention there is software included.

Most sales people I talked to said wireless keyboards and mice are plug n
play. I pretty much only need drivers for an operating system.

Some wireless keyboards and mice say they work with XP and Vista, but don't
mention windows 7. Others mention windows 7. Can I use all wireless
keyboards and mice? Can I get the right drivers or are there actually
limitations to the hardware with each OS?

Since there is software to install I am concerned about not being able to
use certain wireless items on other systems I own. Most notable are the
microsoft products, since I have an EULA for windows XP, I am concerned about
that kind of stuff. Does anyone know about the software usually associated
with the wireless keyboards and mice?

I have a desktop and laptop, I need to be able to plug a keyboard and mouse
into my laptop occasionally and then connect the laptop to my monitor. Can I
do this? Or use the wireless hardware on a new computer I could buy in future?
From: SC Tom on

"Brian V" <BrianV(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have recently looked at some wireless keyboards. Some that are microsoft
> keyboards mention there is software included.
>
> Most sales people I talked to said wireless keyboards and mice are plug n
> play. I pretty much only need drivers for an operating system.
>
> Some wireless keyboards and mice say they work with XP and Vista, but
> don't
> mention windows 7. Others mention windows 7. Can I use all wireless
> keyboards and mice? Can I get the right drivers or are there actually
> limitations to the hardware with each OS?
>
> Since there is software to install I am concerned about not being able to
> use certain wireless items on other systems I own. Most notable are the
> microsoft products, since I have an EULA for windows XP, I am concerned
> about
> that kind of stuff. Does anyone know about the software usually associated
> with the wireless keyboards and mice?
>
> I have a desktop and laptop, I need to be able to plug a keyboard and
> mouse
> into my laptop occasionally and then connect the laptop to my monitor. Can
> do this? Or use the wireless hardware on a new computer I could buy in
> future?

The mouse and keyboard are for the most part PNP. The software is for
programming the various buttons on the mouse and "special" keys on the
keyboard. Without the software being loaded, you won't have the capability
to change, say, the Back button on the mouse or the DVD Play key on the
keyboard.

The ones that don't list Windows 7 were probably released before 7 came out.
Check the manufacturer's site for the compatibility of the particular model.

By moving the supplied dongle from PC to laptop to a new PC, you can use the
same hardware on any of them (just not at the same time, obviously). Not
sure how that would work on built-in Bluetooth if the PC and the notebook
both have it- I'm not lucky enough to own anything quite that new :-)
--
SC Tom

From: T Shadow on
"SC Tom" <sc(a)tom.net> wrote in message

> "Brian V" <BrianV(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have recently looked at some wireless keyboards. Some that are microsoft
>> keyboards mention there is software included.
>>
>> Most sales people I talked to said wireless keyboards and mice are plug n
>> play. I pretty much only need drivers for an operating system.
>>
>> Some wireless keyboards and mice say they work with XP and Vista, but
>> don't
>> mention windows 7. Others mention windows 7. Can I use all wireless
>> keyboards and mice? Can I get the right drivers or are there actually
>> limitations to the hardware with each OS?
>>
>> Since there is software to install I am concerned about not being able to
>> use certain wireless items on other systems I own. Most notable are the
>> microsoft products, since I have an EULA for windows XP, I am concerned
>> about
>> that kind of stuff. Does anyone know about the software usually
>> associated
>> with the wireless keyboards and mice?
>>
>> I have a desktop and laptop, I need to be able to plug a keyboard and
>> mouse
>> into my laptop occasionally and then connect the laptop to my monitor.
>> Can I
>> do this? Or use the wireless hardware on a new computer I could buy in
>> future?
>
> The mouse and keyboard are for the most part PNP. The software is for
> programming the various buttons on the mouse and "special" keys on the
> keyboard. Without the software being loaded, you won't have the capability
> to change, say, the Back button on the mouse or the DVD Play key on the
> keyboard.
>
> The ones that don't list Windows 7 were probably released before 7 came
> out. Check the manufacturer's site for the compatibility of the particular
> model.
>
> By moving the supplied dongle from PC to laptop to a new PC, you can use
> the same hardware on any of them (just not at the same time, obviously).
> Not sure how that would work on built-in Bluetooth if the PC and the
> notebook both have it- I'm not lucky enough to own anything quite that new
> :-)
> --
> SC Tom

Just a little clarification to what Tom said. My Logitech connects via P/S2,
which needs nothing for basic function, or USB. Anything W2K or newer should
have basic USB drivers.

BT kb &mouse would probably have it's own USB dongle that could be switched
to other PCs USB ports. You'd need drivers for it so make sure you have
the ones for whatever O/S you want to use it with.

If you want to use the keyboard with another BT device make sure it's
stack(software) supports keyboard and mouse or any other device/function you
may want./need. BT stacks can be a real PIA. The upside to BT is you might
be able to use the keyboard with a PDA or smartphone, if you ever want./need
to. I'd like to have one of the pricey DiNovas.
HTH

EULAs are betweem you and you're lawyer :^b.

From: Brian V on
I appriciate the replys emmensely.

I would leave the keyboard or keys alone. But there areusually extra buttons
on the newer keyboards, so assigining them could be a setp into the future
for me.

I am not planning on buying these now (it's been close due to some other
shifting around). Later when I change mroe on my computer, I could use those
upgrades. I'd hope in a year or so. By then who knows what is out....... But
I need to know this stuff now.

Again thank you.

I don't use bluetooth, unless thats the wireless. I don't even have a cell
phone. Hit me on my land line, facebook, myspace or email! I just don't need
on yet. Still!...........Hey I got something that is called an answering
machine...........I can check it and call you back........