From: AES on
I'd appreciate product recommendations for a wireless, low-volume, B&W
laser printer for a home office, to replace two ancient but apparently
indestructible Apple LaserWriter II and hp LaserJet 6MP printers that I
gather will become doorstops when I upgrade from Tiger to SL and from
Cat-45 Direct Ethernet cabling to Airport. Criteria:

* B&W only, no color

* Modest volume: few dozen to few hundred pages/day

* No "All-in-one" scanner/copier/fax capabilities needed, or wanted

* Multiple feed trays, duplex printing OK but also not really needed

* Initial cost secondary -- but reasonable operating cost important

* Reliability, durability important

* Good PostScript handling, good resolution also important

* Store-bought -- no eBay or CraigsList

Suggestions much appreciated . . .
From: Thomas R. Kettler on
In article <siegman-27A77D.16073125072010(a)sciid-srv02.med.tufts.edu>,
AES <siegman(a)stanford.edu> wrote:

> I'd appreciate product recommendations for a wireless, low-volume, B&W
> laser printer for a home office, to replace two ancient but apparently
> indestructible Apple LaserWriter II and hp LaserJet 6MP printers that I
> gather will become doorstops when I upgrade from Tiger to SL and from
> Cat-45 Direct Ethernet cabling to Airport. Criteria:
>
> * B&W only, no color
>
> * Modest volume: few dozen to few hundred pages/day
>
> * No "All-in-one" scanner/copier/fax capabilities needed, or wanted
>
> * Multiple feed trays, duplex printing OK but also not really needed
>
> * Initial cost secondary -- but reasonable operating cost important
>
> * Reliability, durability important
>
> * Good PostScript handling, good resolution also important
>
> * Store-bought -- no eBay or CraigsList
>
> Suggestions much appreciated . . .

I think Brother printer are at the top in terms of reliability.

Given your requirements, this would fit:

<http://www.brother-usa.com/Printer/modeldetail.aspx?PRODUCTID=hl5370dw>

Here are their other B&W laser printers:

<http://www.brother-usa.com/Printer/BW_Monochrome_Laser_Printers/>
--
Remove blown from email address to reply.
From: None of your business on
In article <siegman-27A77D.16073125072010(a)sciid-srv02.med.tufts.edu>,
AES <siegman(a)stanford.edu> wrote:

> I'd appreciate product recommendations for a wireless, low-volume, B&W
> laser printer for a home office, to replace two ancient but apparently
> indestructible Apple LaserWriter II and hp LaserJet 6MP printers that I
> gather will become doorstops when I upgrade from Tiger to SL and from
> Cat-45 Direct Ethernet cabling to Airport. Criteria:
>
> * B&W only, no color
>
> * Modest volume: few dozen to few hundred pages/day
>
> * No "All-in-one" scanner/copier/fax capabilities needed, or wanted
>
> * Multiple feed trays, duplex printing OK but also not really needed
>
> * Initial cost secondary -- but reasonable operating cost important
>
> * Reliability, durability important
>
> * Good PostScript handling, good resolution also important
>
> * Store-bought -- no eBay or CraigsList
>
> Suggestions much appreciated . . .

This one
<http://www.brother-usa.com/Printer/ModelDetail.aspx?ProductID=hl2170W>
does everything you want except for the PostScript and duplexing. This
one
<http://www.brother-usa.com/Printer/ModelDetail.aspx?ProductID=hl5370dw>
does duplexing _and_ has PostScript.

I have an older version of the first one. It has worked reliably for
five years now.
From: Tim McNamara on
My HP laser printer, a 1012, works great with my Airport Express base
station.

--
That'll put marzipan in your pie plate, Bingo.
From: Robert Haar on
On 7/25/10 7:14 PM, "Thomas R. Kettler" <tkettler(a)blownfuse.net> wrote:

> In article <siegman-27A77D.16073125072010(a)sciid-srv02.med.tufts.edu>,
> AES <siegman(a)stanford.edu> wrote:
>
>> I'd appreciate product recommendations for a wireless, low-volume, B&W
>> laser printer for a home office,

> I think Brother printer are at the top in terms of reliability.
>
> Given your requirements, this would fit:
>
> <http://www.brother-usa.com/Printer/modeldetail.aspx?PRODUCTID=hl5370dw>

Seconded. I have had excellent results with the wired version of this
printer and expect that the print mechanism is the same.