From: Jim on
I am using a WRT54G router on a cable connection. If I understand correctly,
the fact that I have it set for WPA PSK is what slows down the connection.
Example while wired my download speed is over 7mbps while operating wireless
it is 1 to 1.5.

Short of turning off security is there any other way to boost the speed?

Jim

From: Todd H. on
"Jim" <jcgc50(a)cox.net> writes:

> I am using a WRT54G router on a cable connection. If I understand correctly,
> the fact that I have it set for WPA PSK is what slows down the connection.
> Example while wired my download speed is over 7mbps while operating wireless
> it is 1 to 1.5.
>
> Short of turning off security is there any other way to boost the
> speed?

Throw $60 at a new one? What hardware version do you have there?

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
From: Jeff Liebermann on
"Jim" <jcgc50(a)cox.net> hath wroth:

>I am using a WRT54G router on a cable connection. If I understand correctly,
>the fact that I have it set for WPA PSK is what slows down the connection.
>Example while wired my download speed is over 7mbps while operating wireless
>it is 1 to 1.5.
>
>Short of turning off security is there any other way to boost the speed?

WPA PSK will slow down the MAXIMUM wireless speed by about 10-15% due
to CPU load. You probably won't see it. Turn of encryption
temporarily and run your benchmark again to compare to check.

What is your wireless connection speed as displayed on your wireless
client? Your wireless thruput should be about half the connected
speed. If there's interference, even less. 1Mbit/sec thruput means
lots of interference or a fairly weak signal.

I'm not sure what to recommend because I have little clue as to what
you have to work with. If the wireless client is portable (i.e.
laptop), drag it into the same room as the WRT54G and see what it can
do under ideal conditions. If that works properly, then work on
improving the wireless signal (i.e. aftermarket antennas).

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl(a)comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
From: Jim on
Jeff, sorry, I sent this response to you rather than the group. Will try
again.

> WPA PSK will slow down the MAXIMUM wireless speed by about 10-15% due
> to CPU load. You probably won't see it. Turn of encryption
> temporarily and run your benchmark again to compare to check.
>
> What is your wireless connection speed as displayed on your wireless
> client? Your wireless thruput should be about half the connected
> speed. If there's interference, even less. 1Mbit/sec thruput means
> lots of interference or a fairly weak signal.
>
> I'm not sure what to recommend because I have little clue as to what
> you have to work with. If the wireless client is portable (i.e.
> laptop), drag it into the same room as the WRT54G and see what it can
> do under ideal conditions. If that works properly, then work on
> improving the wireless signal (i.e. aftermarket antennas).

I am using a laptop which happens to be located in the same room. Signal
strength shows excellent at 54 mbps. I have been using this setup for over a
year now and it has always been this way and I have not figured it out. SSID
broadcasting is turned off and I have MAC filtering. I have changed those
settings and found no difference in performance.

If it didn't involve too much work I would arrange to run this wired most of
the time. As it is I am only occasionally downloading large files.

WRT54G v 3.1 Firmware 4.20.7. I have upgraded the firmware once and don't
know if there is an update but that did nothing either.

Does this information provide any ideas.

From: John Navas on
On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 13:03:10 -0500, "Jim" <jcgc50(a)cox.net> wrote in
<DzbQh.16663$Ng1.542(a)newsfe19.lga>:

>On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 08:14:55 -0500, "Jim" <jcgc50(a)cox.net> wrote in
><ol7Qh.169228$ia7.10445(a)newsfe14.lga>:
>
>>I am using a WRT54G router on a cable connection. If I understand correctly,
>>the fact that I have it set for WPA PSK is what slows down the connection.
>>Example while wired my download speed is over 7mbps while operating wireless
>>it is 1 to 1.5.
>>
>>Short of turning off security is there any other way to boost the speed?

What happens to your speed when you turn off all security? (You have
tried that, right?)

That will only be meaningful when the wireless is under load. Run a
speed test, and see if the reported wireless speed changes during the
test. And move the wireless client to about 6 feet from the wireless
access point to see if that makes any difference.

>I have been using this setup for over a
>year now and it has always been this way and I have not figured it out. SSID
>broadcasting is turned off and I have MAC filtering. I have changed those
>settings and found no difference in performance.

Leave them off:
* SSID hiding doesn't really hide anything, and can make it more likely
that neighbors will try to use the same channel.
* MAC filtering is too easily spoofed to be of any real value.
* Both often cause problems.

>If it didn't involve too much work I would arrange to run this wired most of
>the time. As it is I am only occasionally downloading large files.

Radio frequency interference is the most likely problem. See wikis
below for possible causes.

--
Best regards, FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://Wireless.wikia.com>
John Navas FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi>