From: fasf on
Hi,
I want to realize a wireless sensor network at 868MHz: this network
should be used in open ambient, so long range (and low power) is
important for me. What do you think is the better solution?
About protocol: i thougth ZigBee, but i haven't found interesting
solution at this range (I may be mistaken)...A standard implementation
is the best solution, but non strictly necessary....For me a lot of
positive feedback from protocol users is very importat...last but not
least, it shoud be free of charge and open source
About transceiver: i'm looking for a very low power system on chip
solution (8bit micro + transceiver)
Can you help me?i'm a little confused...
Thanks
From: TTman on

"fasf" <silusilusilu(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I want to realize a wireless sensor network at 868MHz: this network
> should be used in open ambient, so long range (and low power) is
> important for me. What do you think is the better solution?
> About protocol: i thougth ZigBee, but i haven't found interesting
> solution at this range (I may be mistaken)...A standard implementation
> is the best solution, but non strictly necessary....For me a lot of
> positive feedback from protocol users is very importat...last but not
> least, it shoud be free of charge and open source
> About transceiver: i'm looking for a very low power system on chip
> solution (8bit micro + transceiver)
> Can you help me?i'm a little confused...
> Thanks

Take a lok at Nordic semiconductor....They have an integrated 8051 solution,
but the firmware has to be in an unprotected serial eeprom.... seriously bad
design decision on their part so from a commercial point it's useless. Nice
core though.... with all the low level stuff done for you. I use the non 51
version with code in a mega48P and it works well.

From: fasf on
Thanks for your answer...

> Take a lok at Nordic semiconductor....They have an integrated 8051 solution,
> but the firmware has to be in an unprotected serial eeprom.... seriously bad
> design decision on their part so from a commercial point it's useless.

What protocol is used? It is free and open source?
Thanks

From: TTman on

> Thanks for your answer...
>
>> Take a look at Nordic semiconductor....They have an integrated 8051
>> solution,
>> but the firmware has to be in an unprotected serial eeprom.... seriously
>> bad
>> design decision on their part so from a commercial point it's useless.
>
> What protocol is used? It is free and open source?
> Thanks

You have to write your own application code. Low level stuff is all done for
you ( shockburst tm) and needs SPI master to talk to the chip.