From: Working With Dates in Excel Working With Dates in on
Hello:

I use Excel to keep up with information like the number of days I was
employed by a given employer. I included the first day of work on my
worksheet for example as 1/1/2010 then I type the last day I worked there for
example 12/31/2010. Now then with the first and last date displayed on my
sheet for common reference purposes I want to determine the total days I was
employed by this employer so I substract 12/31/2010 from 1/1/2010 but Excel
returns the value 364 when I was employed 365 days. In this example I would
not want to put 12/31/2009 as my first day of work or 1/1/2011as my last so
Excel would return the correct number of days which is 365 when I didn't work
there those days. Any info as how this should be done would be appreciated. I
would hope it would not require some complexed process to get Excel to carry
data like I am trying to.
From: Victor Delta on
"Working With Dates in Excel" <Working With Dates in
Excel(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I use Excel to keep up with information like the number of days I was
> employed by a given employer. I included the first day of work on my
> worksheet for example as 1/1/2010 then I type the last day I worked there
> for
> example 12/31/2010. Now then with the first and last date displayed on my
> sheet for common reference purposes I want to determine the total days I
> was
> employed by this employer so I substract 12/31/2010 from 1/1/2010 but
> Excel
> returns the value 364 when I was employed 365 days. In this example I
> would
> not want to put 12/31/2009 as my first day of work or 1/1/2011as my last
> so
> Excel would return the correct number of days which is 365 when I didn't
> work
> there those days. Any info as how this should be done would be
> appreciated. I
> would hope it would not require some complexed process to get Excel to
> carry
> data like I am trying to.

To get the correct number of days the formula is =B1-A1+1, where A1 is the
start date and B1 is the end date.

From: Gord Dibben on
Subtracting day one from day 365 will ALWAYS give you 364.

Simple arithmetic.

10-1 = 9

12/31/2010 - 1/1/2010 = 364

Add 1 to the total.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 24 May 2010 15:25:01 -0700, Working With Dates in Excel <Working