From: rickman on
On Mar 22, 2:28 am, Magnetic <magnetic.t...(a)yandex.ua> wrote:
> > OTOH, the chance that Magnetic is a raving lunatic or a troll is very
> > high, and the fact that he's making terrorist threats against Geneva is
> > absolutely uncontrovertible.
>
> > So you want to believe a terrorist?
>
> Idiot!
>
> If you want to live, beat physicists.
> Ruin CERN.
> Write to Geneva and plead the citizens of Geneva to block the
> entrances to LHC.
>
> Otherwise we all will be killed by CERN’s criminals in some of nearest
> days.

I wonder if they are going to make a disaster movie about this? BLACK
HOLE, The End of the World!, coming to a theater near you!

I guess one question is about the claim of cosmic rays being so much
more powerful than the collisions at CERN. If so, why can't they
study cosmic rays rather than build a multi-billion euro/dollar/pound
facility that may or may not be big enough to answer the questions
they seek answers to. Even if it does provide some insight, it will
be obsolete in what, five, ten years? Then they will be wanting to
build a new one that circles the globe, right?

I just can't see the point of pouring so much money into a project
that will likely raise more questions than it answers...

A scientist was giving a lecture on cosmology to a mixed audience.
Afterwords a little old lady approached him and told him that he was
wrong. Asking what he was wrong about, she replied that the Earth was
actually supported on the back of a very large turtle. Amused by this
idea he asked what the turtle was standing on. She replied that it
was standing on the backs of four other turtles. In turn he asked
what these turtles were standing on. Her reply, still more turtles...
this went on for a couple more rounds until the scientist asked again
and the lady replied, "Tut, tut young man! You can't fool me! It's
turtles all the way down!"

The CERN LHC is just going to show us the next level of turtles.

Rick
From: gil_johnson on
On Mar 22, 12:40 pm, rickman <gnu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess one question is about the claim of cosmic rays being so much
> more powerful than the collisions at CERN.  If so, why can't they
> study cosmic rays rather than build a multi-billion euro/dollar/pound
> facility that may or may not be big enough to answer the questions
> they seek answers to.  Even if it does provide some insight, it will
> be obsolete in what, five, ten years?  Then they will be wanting to
> build a new one that circles the globe, right?
>
> Rick

The LHC can generate many collisions of known particles in a small
volume, inside a *massive* detector. Cosmic rays have been studied
but the information available with normal detectors is limited, and
waiting for a lucky collision inside a detector like that at CERN is
impractical - even graduate students couldn't be forced to wait that
long - Gil
From: rickman on
On Mar 22, 4:15 pm, gil_johnson <x7-g5W...(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
> On Mar 22, 12:40 pm, rickman <gnu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I guess one question is about the claim of cosmic rays being so much
> > more powerful than the collisions at CERN.  If so, why can't they
> > study cosmic rays rather than build a multi-billion euro/dollar/pound
> > facility that may or may not be big enough to answer the questions
> > they seek answers to.  Even if it does provide some insight, it will
> > be obsolete in what, five, ten years?  Then they will be wanting to
> > build a new one that circles the globe, right?
>
> > Rick
>
> The LHC can generate many collisions of known particles in a small
> volume, inside a *massive* detector. Cosmic rays have been studied
> but the information available with normal detectors is limited, and
> waiting for a lucky collision inside a detector like that at CERN is
> impractical - even graduate students couldn't be forced to wait that
> long - Gil

For the billions it cost to build and run the LHC, I could wait...

Exactly what again is the question they are trying to answer?

Rick
From: Sam Wormley on
On 3/22/10 1:28 AM, Magnetic wrote:

> If you want to live, beat physicists.
> Ruin CERN.
> Write to Geneva and plead the citizens of Geneva to block the
> entrances to LHC.

You will certainly die, but it will probably be from smoking,
high blood pressure and drinking, not scientific study of the
very early universe.
From: Sjouke Burry on
rickman wrote:
> On Mar 22, 4:15 pm, gil_johnson <x7-g5W...(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>> On Mar 22, 12:40 pm, rickman <gnu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I guess one question is about the claim of cosmic rays being so much
>>> more powerful than the collisions at CERN. If so, why can't they
>>> study cosmic rays rather than build a multi-billion euro/dollar/pound
>>> facility that may or may not be big enough to answer the questions
>>> they seek answers to. Even if it does provide some insight, it will
>>> be obsolete in what, five, ten years? Then they will be wanting to
>>> build a new one that circles the globe, right?
>>> Rick
>> The LHC can generate many collisions of known particles in a small
>> volume, inside a *massive* detector. Cosmic rays have been studied
>> but the information available with normal detectors is limited, and
>> waiting for a lucky collision inside a detector like that at CERN is
>> impractical - even graduate students couldn't be forced to wait that
>> long - Gil
>
> For the billions it cost to build and run the LHC, I could wait...
>
> Exactly what again is the question they are trying to answer?
>
> Rick
They want to know about the whichness of why
and unscrew some of the secrets of nature.