From: Shark8 on
I was wondering if there would be any interest in coding up an OS in
Ada. I don't mean taking an existing codebase and rewriting/converting
it to Ada, but implementing it from the ground up. It's been a bit of
a "for later" project for me to write an OS, although I did begin to
write one in Turbo Pascal which got to the point of being able to
recognize user-commands & (based on those commands) change the screen
resolution. {And all using less than ten lines of inline assembly!}

As time went on the project went on the back-burner and "later" never
really came around, but in that meantime I was finishing up my degree
in CS and came across Ada in my senior-level programming languages
class. The design of Ada impressed me a lot and so I got myself
Barnes's Ada 2005 book and started teaching myself. (So, in reality
I'm pretty new to Ada, but I do come from a Pascal background and like
the idea of having my compiler check things for correctness.)

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody here would be interested in such a
project.
From: Leslie on
Shark8 wrote:

> I was wondering if there would be any interest in coding up an
> OS in Ada. I don't mean taking an existing codebase and
> rewriting/converting it to Ada, but implementing it from the
> ground up. It's been a bit of a "for later" project for me to
> write an OS, although I did begin to write one in Turbo Pascal
> which got to the point of being able to recognize user-commands
> & (based on those commands) change the screen resolution. {And
> all using less than ten lines of inline assembly!}
>
> As time went on the project went on the back-burner and "later"
> never really came around, but in that meantime I was finishing
> up my degree in CS and came across Ada in my senior-level
> programming languages class. The design of Ada impressed me a
> lot and so I got myself Barnes's Ada 2005 book and started
> teaching myself. (So, in reality I'm pretty new to Ada, but I
> do come from a Pascal background and like the idea of having my
> compiler check things for correctness.)
>
> Anyway, I was wondering if anybody here would be interested in
> such a project.
Interestingly, I was just thinking last week while reading John
Barnes' /Programming in Ada 2005/ that Ada would be a fine
language to user for writing an OS. I'm not yet proficient in
Ada, but would be interested in contributing what I can.

Leslie
From: Shark8 on
Excellent. Good to know I'm not completely alone.

I busted out my sourceforge account and started a project for it.
[ https://sourceforge.net/projects/admiral-os/ ]
I chose the name Admiral as a bit of a nod to the old Commodore. {Side
note: it's AMAZING what they did with 64 or 128 KB & 1 to 2 MHz of 8-
bit CPU goodness!}
From: Ludovic Brenta on
Shark8 wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> Excellent. Good to know I'm not completely alone.
>
> I busted out my sourceforge account and started a project for it.
> [https://sourceforge.net/projects/admiral-os/]
> I chose the name Admiral as a bit of a nod to the old Commodore. {Side
> note: it's AMAZING what they did with 64 or 128 KB & 1 to 2 MHz of 8-
> bit CPU goodness!}

Have a look at http://www.lovelace.fr

This project is dormant at the moment but you can already check it
out.

--
Ludovic Brenta.
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov on
On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 17:13:55 -0800 (PST), Shark8 wrote:

> Anyway, I was wondering if anybody here would be interested in such a
> project.

If that will be a really new OS (not a UNIX clone), OO, portable,
distributed etc, for interesting platforms like this:

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2009/08/scalable_open_source_computing_plat.html

why not?

--
Regards,