From: Gregory Ewing on
> In article <Xns9D28186AF890Cfdnbgui7uhu5h8hrnuio(a)127.0.0.1>,
> Giorgos Tzampanakis <gt67(a)hw.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>>I'm implementing a CPU that will run on an FPGA. I want to have a
>>(dead) simple assembler that will generate the machine code for
>>me. I want to use Python for that. Are there any libraries that
>>can help me with the parsing of the assembly code?

I wrote a PIC assembler in Python once. I didn't bother
with any parsing libraries. I used a regular expression
to split the input into tokens, then wrote ad-hoc
parsing code in Python.

--
Greg
From: member thudfoo on
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 10:52 PM, Gregory Ewing
<greg.ewing(a)canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
>> In article <Xns9D28186AF890Cfdnbgui7uhu5h8hrnuio(a)127.0.0.1>,
>> Giorgos Tzampanakis  <gt67(a)hw.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm implementing a CPU that will run on an FPGA. I want to have a
>>> (dead) simple assembler that will generate the machine code for
>>> me. I want to use Python for that. Are there any libraries that
>>> can help me with the parsing of the assembly code?
>
> I wrote a PIC assembler in Python once. I didn't bother
> with any parsing libraries. I used a regular expression
> to split the input into tokens, then wrote ad-hoc
> parsing code in Python.
>
> --
> Greg

I used Plex.

The lexer is here: http://pastebin.com/9Rm4rDfu

The target for the assembler is a toy single-byte processor.