From: halfcrazy2u on

1) wuaudit is a legitimat Windows process 2) "notify only" still tells
it to run (look for updates) 3) most machines take at least 3 and up to
10 minutes to fully boot and finish all the start-up processes (watch
the hard drive light) 4) wuaudit "magically" disappears from the Task
Manager processes list after the machine has "settled in"
'PA Bear [MS MVP Wrote:
> ;973897']Repost: Is wuaudt.exe always running when you open Task Manager
> to the
> Processes tab?
>
> IN RE KIS 2009, what would matter would be if (1) you have not
> purchased it
> and you had no anti-virus application previously installed or (2) your
> subscription isn't current (which would mean the machine is not
> protected
> and may be infected with malware that's cauing Automatic Updates not
> function properly).
>
> If you don't trust my assistance, so be it & please do not reply to
> this
> post.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (AKA PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/robear.dyer
> <=link to
> my MVP Profile
>

> Daddy wrote:
> > Sorry. There have been PA Bear imposters who have used various
> e-mail
> > addresses, so I'm not sure who is whom, and anyone can open a gmail
> > account.
> >
> > There are no critical (or even high priority) updates being offered
> to me
> > at Microsoft Update.
> >
> > I don't understand why it matters when I installed KIS 2009 or when
> my
> > subscription to KIS 2009 expires. Before KIS 2009 I had KIS 7 and
> before
> > that KIS 6 and that was 3 years ago.
> >
> > I really don't have a good feeling for where this thread is going or
> whom
> > I'm really talking to, so, no disrespect, but I'm going to bail out.
> If
> > you're the real deal then I sincerely thank you for your service to
> this
> > newsgroup, which sometimes seems to me like the wild, wild, west.
> >
> > Daddy
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I am not the imposter, Daddy, and there were no "fake" links in my
> post
> >> or
> >> sig. Compare the headers of both my posts to those of the
> imposter's and
> >> you'll know for sure.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer
> >> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client
> >> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/robear.dyer

> CUSTOM &

> your
> installed

> (35,512 KB)
> process I
> (Kaspersky

> I'll
> does it

After investigating wuaudit.exe in many other forums a couple of things
are just common sense. 1) it's a legitimate Windows process 2) "notify,
don't download" - whether you are going to download them or not, it
still tells your machine to look for updates (causing wuaudit to run) 3)
unless you have a super-fast machine with nothing on it, it usually
takes 3 to 10 minutes to fully boot (watch the hard drive light) once it
settles down the wuaudit "disappears" from the Task Manager processes
list.

From: halfcrazy2u on

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
First of all, the file is WUAUCLT.EXE, not WUAUDT.EXE.

Second, why are you replying to a "dead" thread from March 2009?

Third, why are you replying to my post?

From: MowGreen on
halfcrazy2u wrote:

> After investigating wuaudit.exe in many other forums a couple of things
> are just common sense. 1) it's a legitimate Windows process 2) "notify,
> don't download" - whether you are going to download them or not, it
> still tells your machine to look for updates (causing wuaudit to run) 3)
> unless you have a super-fast machine with nothing on it, it usually
> takes 3 to 10 minutes to fully boot (watch the hard drive light) once it
> settles down the wuaudit "disappears" from the Task Manager processes
> list.

There's confusion over wuauclt and wuaudt because sometimes wuauclt
*appears* to look like wuaudt:

What is "wuauclt.exe" and "wuaudt.exe"?
http://xona.com/2004/08/26.html

What is wuaudt.exe?
http://forums.devshed.com/antivirus-protection-117/what-is-wuaudt-exe-178129.html

The only hit for "wuaudt.exe" when one searches the MS Knowledge Base,
TechNet, or MSDN mentions the confusion over it's name:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Search/en-US?query=Wuaudt.exe&ac=8

There is NO "wuaudt.exe" on my Win ME system, XP, nor Windows 7 systems,
nor on VPC instances of Win98/ Windows 2000 SP4/Windows 2K3 SP2/Vista.

Strongly suggest that if the file is actually spelled "wuaudt.exe"
you have it scanned at VirusTotal or Jotti:
http://www.virustotal.com
http://virusscan.jotti.org

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
MowGreen wrote:
<snip>
> Strongly suggest that if the file is actually spelled "wuaudt.exe"
> you have it scanned at VirusTotal or Jotti...

And stop sniffing glue.