From: Thomas Renninger on
On Thursday 01 July 2010 06:27:41 pm Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Jul 2010, Thomas Renninger wrote:
> I'd prefer if the above text gets replaced by something that adds a pointer
> to the new facility, instead of being just outright removed. Also, the
> text about how to use the facility to detect tachometers and thermometers
> should be retained, if at all possible.
I agree. I'll repost this one in some days.

> Soes your helper userspace util do the "differential" analysis that
> thinkpad-acpi used to (the "*" after values that changed since last read)?
No.
But this should not be important enough to not get this removed.
It's hard to re-implement the exact behaviour (which can be handy for
specific problems, I agree).
With:
watch -n1 ec_access -r
you can have a close look at specific registers and see them changing.
Whatabout:
ec_access -r -s time(s)
Reads the table once and again after "time" seconds with stars
where modifications happened. Then someone can plug AC or hit a button
and look at the diff in EC registers afterwards.
This should be sufficient?
Better ideas?

Thanks,

Thomas
From: Thomas Renninger on
On Thursday 01 July 2010 21:31:18 Thomas Renninger wrote:
> On Thursday 01 July 2010 06:27:41 pm Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > On Thu, 01 Jul 2010, Thomas Renninger wrote:
> > I'd prefer if the above text gets replaced by something that adds a pointer
> > to the new facility, instead of being just outright removed. Also, the
> > text about how to use the facility to detect tachometers and thermometers
> > should be retained, if at all possible.
> I agree. I'll repost this one in some days.
Hmm, I take that back.
This still should get removed completely from:
Documentation/laptops/thinkpad-acpi.txt

These problems apply to all laptops and instead of adding pointers to all
Documentation/laptop/${vendor} files,
a separate file should be added. This should then be more about thermal
management problems in general and pointers to:
Documentation/acpi/ec_sysfs
and
Documentation/acpi/debug.txt
Documentation/acpi/*
added there looks like the appropriate solution to me.

If people agree:
- This patch is still fine and should get applied as it is
- I will send another patch adding some more documentation
in some days

Thanks,

Thomas