From: Richard Maine on
Uno <merrilljensen(a)q.com> wrote:

> I poked around on this for a while, because I'm interested in what's out
> there, even if I don't have the means to purchase. I wouldn't have
> thought an IBM would look like this:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IBM_AIX_53.PNG

Why not? because you didn't know IBM had a Unix derivative? AIX has been
around for (quickly checking the wikipedia entry) about 2 and a half
decades now, and there were other IBM Unix variants before that (see
PC/IX). IBM is quite a major player in the Unix business. If you have
followed the SCO legal antics at all, IBM is one of the main players in
that (namely SCO v. IBM).

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain
From: Richard Maine on
Uno <merrilljensen(a)q.com> wrote:

> Richard Maine wrote:
> > Uno <merrilljensen(a)q.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I wouldn't have thought an IBM would look like this:
> >>
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IBM_AIX_53.PNG
> >
> > Why not? because you didn't know IBM had a Unix derivative?

> My experience with an IBM PC was in 1983 in Washington state.
> Everything was windows.

Oh, then I guessed wrong. I was assuming that you were associating IBM
with IBM mainframes, which they are generally much more known for. :-)
They did those for 3 decades before they entered the desktop market with
the IBM PC, which was a bit of a controversial move for them at the
time.

They still do mainframes almost 5 decades later, and they also have
workstation lines. I haven't carefully followed, but to my knowledge,
they aren't even in the PC market any more. I think they sold that
business off to Lenovo. I'd find it a little odd to primarily identify
them with PCs.

I somehow doubt that "everything was windows" in 1983, insomuch as
Windows 1.0 wasn't released until November of 1985.

> From the screenshot, AIX looked like linux to me.

You have it a bit backwards. Linux is a Unix variant. AIX is also a Unix
variant, but one that substantially predates Linux. It might be more
accurate to say that Linux looks like AIX. Though it is probably most
accurate to consider them cousins that both look like their common
ancestor. I'd guess that you are making the fairly common mistake of
thinking that Unix is a variant of Linux, which is backwards.

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain

Pages: 1
Prev: linking not done
Next: source check