From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 22:57:01 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
<Nobody(a)NotMyISP.net> wrote:

> I was just reading the XP Home EULA and noticed that it said it was
> permitted to be used on a single CPU. Since a multi-core processor is
> technically a collection of CPUs -- even if in a single package -- and
> is recognized as such by the OS, has Microsoft ever claimed that it is
> illegal to use XP Home on such a machine?
>
> And I think I read that even XP Pro is licensed for use only on two CPUs.

You are mixing up licensing and technical capability.

From a licensing standpoint, both Home and Professional are licensed
on a single *computer*. There is no limitation on the number of
processors.

From a technical capability standpoint, Professional can use two
physical processors, but Home only one. Either one, however, can use
multi-core processors.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: VanguardLH on
Ken Blake, MVP wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 22:57:01 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
> <Nobody(a)NotMyISP.net> wrote:
>
>> I was just reading the XP Home EULA and noticed that it said it was
>> permitted to be used on a single CPU. Since a multi-core processor is
>> technically a collection of CPUs -- even if in a single package -- and
>> is recognized as such by the OS, has Microsoft ever claimed that it is
>> illegal to use XP Home on such a machine?
>>
>> And I think I read that even XP Pro is licensed for use only on two CPUs.
>
> You are mixing up licensing and technical capability.
>
> From a licensing standpoint, both Home and Professional are licensed
> on a single *computer*. There is no limitation on the number of
> processors.

You sure? The EULA for Windows XP Professional says it can be used on one
"computer" (which a minimal definition) with up to two "processors" (which
isn't defined by Microsoft has made separate public statements regarding
cores versus processors).

I found an online copy of the EULA for Windows XP Professional at:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/eula/pro.mspx

You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Product on a
single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device
�Workstation Computer�). The Product may not be used by more than two (2)
processors at any one time on any single Workstation Computer.

An online copy of the EULA for Windows XP Home is at:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/eula/home.mspx

You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Software on
a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device
("Workstation Computer"). The Software may not be used by more than one
processor at any one time on any single Workstation Computer.

So, with the Home edition, you get to use it on a computer with 1 processor.
With the Professional edition, you get to use it on a computer with 2
processors.
From: Percival P. Cassidy on
On 02/27/10 05:49 pm, VanguardLH wrote:
> Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 22:57:01 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
>> <Nobody(a)NotMyISP.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I was just reading the XP Home EULA and noticed that it said it was
>>> permitted to be used on a single CPU. Since a multi-core processor is
>>> technically a collection of CPUs -- even if in a single package -- and
>>> is recognized as such by the OS, has Microsoft ever claimed that it is
>>> illegal to use XP Home on such a machine?
>>>
>>> And I think I read that even XP Pro is licensed for use only on two CPUs.
>>
>> You are mixing up licensing and technical capability.
>>
>> From a licensing standpoint, both Home and Professional are licensed
>> on a single *computer*. There is no limitation on the number of
>> processors.
>
> You sure? The EULA for Windows XP Professional says it can be used on one
> "computer" (which a minimal definition) with up to two "processors" (which
> isn't defined by Microsoft has made separate public statements regarding
> cores versus processors).
>
> I found an online copy of the EULA for Windows XP Professional at:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/eula/pro.mspx
>
> You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Product on a
> single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device
> ´Workstation Computer¡). The Product may not be used by more than two (2)
> processors at any one time on any single Workstation Computer.
>
> An online copy of the EULA for Windows XP Home is at:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/eula/home.mspx
>
> You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Software on
> a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device
> ("Workstation Computer"). The Software may not be used by more than one
> processor at any one time on any single Workstation Computer.
>
> So, with the Home edition, you get to use it on a computer with 1 processor.
> With the Professional edition, you get to use it on a computer with 2
> processors.

Exactly. And the "Performance" tab shows CPU usage for two CPUs on my
dual-core machine.

Perce

From: Paul on
Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 22:57:01 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
> <Nobody(a)NotMyISP.net> wrote:
>
>> I was just reading the XP Home EULA and noticed that it said it was
>> permitted to be used on a single CPU. Since a multi-core processor is
>> technically a collection of CPUs -- even if in a single package -- and
>> is recognized as such by the OS, has Microsoft ever claimed that it is
>> illegal to use XP Home on such a machine?
>>
>> And I think I read that even XP Pro is licensed for use only on two CPUs.
>

> You are mixing up licensing and technical capability.
>
> From a licensing standpoint, both Home and Professional are licensed
> on a single *computer*. There is no limitation on the number of
> processors.
>
> From a technical capability standpoint, Professional can use two
> physical processors, but Home only one. Either one, however, can use
> multi-core processors.

Partially covered here, if in need of a reference.

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/multicore-processor-licensing.aspx

"How does this licensing policy affect products such as Windows XP Professional?

Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Home are not affected by this policy because
they are licensed per installation and not per processor. Windows XP Professional
can support up to two processors regardless of the number of cores on the processor.
Windows XP Home supports one processor."

Win2K was licensed by "CPUs", so my copy of Win2K Pro would not be
expected to play nice with a quad core, only a dual core.

http://www.dewassoc.com/support/win2000/require.htm

HTH,
Paul
From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 16:49:19 -0600, VanguardLH <V(a)nguard.LH> wrote:

> Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 22:57:01 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
> > <Nobody(a)NotMyISP.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I was just reading the XP Home EULA and noticed that it said it was
> >> permitted to be used on a single CPU. Since a multi-core processor is
> >> technically a collection of CPUs -- even if in a single package -- and
> >> is recognized as such by the OS, has Microsoft ever claimed that it is
> >> illegal to use XP Home on such a machine?
> >>
> >> And I think I read that even XP Pro is licensed for use only on two CPUs.
> >
> > You are mixing up licensing and technical capability.
> >
> > From a licensing standpoint, both Home and Professional are licensed
> > on a single *computer*. There is no limitation on the number of
> > processors.
>
> You sure? The EULA for Windows XP Professional says it can be used on one
> "computer" (which a minimal definition) with up to two "processors" (which
> isn't defined by Microsoft has made separate public statements regarding
> cores versus processors).
>
> I found an online copy of the EULA for Windows XP Professional at:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/eula/pro.mspx
>
> You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Product on a
> single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device
> �Workstation Computer�). The Product may not be used by more than two (2)
> processors at any one time on any single Workstation Computer.

My understanding is that that's a technical issue, not a licensing
issue. But am I absolutely sure? No, and it's possible that I'm wrong.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup