From: J on
My brother's computer (xp sp2; 2GB RAM, Dual Intel processors) started
to lock up on him.
I booted to safe mode and cleaned off about 70 malwares using
Malwarebytes.
Booted into regular mode and it still locks. Funny thing, I can run
task manager in regular mode
and go to processes, and nothing is using the processor (I checked
show processes from all users), not even System Idle Process. 0's
down the whole column. After a few minutes, it will lock up.
When in Safe Mode, I do show the processor being used and it doesn't
lock up. Unfortunately, I disabled System Restore to wipe out the
viruses that were identifed in that area, so System Restore is not an
option.
I have run a RAM tgroups.google.comit tests OK (I know I should boot
up to a CD and run it, but doing it remotely at this point.
I'm am open to any troubleshooting ideas someone would try next.
TIA