From: Tester on
Hello there,
On an XP Pro sp3 Dell machine, although I set the power options and
power schemes to never and also disabled hibernate mode it still goes
into standby mode, what could be the problem?
Thank you, T
From: Bob I on
You have checked the BIOS settings?

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
One or more options/settings in an ever-growing number of third-party
applications may be disallowing the changes from "sticking." These include
anti-spyware applications (e.g., Ad-aware's Ad-Watch, Spybot Tea Timer,
SpywareBlaster, SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, CounterSpy, WinPatrol, etc),
anti-virus applications & security suites (Norton, McAfee, ESET/NOD32,
Kasperky, Trend Micro, etc.), and third-party firewalls (e.g., Zone Alarm,
etc.).

Note that temporarily disabling the application(s) or rebooting into Safe
Mode may not disable the application's system protections.

From: Twayne on
In news:6feaab28-9575-4878-8820-488d67c2ffd7(a)k11g2000vbe.googlegroups.com,
Tester <calinguga(a)netscape.net> typed:
> Hello there,
> On an XP Pro sp3 Dell machine, although I set the power options and
> power schemes to never and also disabled hibernate mode it still goes
> into standby mode, what could be the problem?
> Thank you, T

Are you certain it's actually going into standby? Many of the newer monitors
these days also have an inactivity timer to blank the monitor after so many
minutes. That would be a menu that's actually from the monitor, not the
computer.

HTH,

Twayne

--
Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered
through personal experience does not become a

From: Jose on
On Feb 19, 11:57 am, Tester <caling...(a)netscape.net> wrote:
> Hello there,
> On an XP Pro sp3 Dell machine, although I set the power options and
> power schemes to never and also disabled hibernate mode it still goes
> into standby mode, what could be the problem?
> Thank you, T

Is it a Dell INSPIRON 580s?

Have you manually entered Stand By mode (from Start, Turn Off
Computer) just to be sure you know what your system looks/sounds like
when it really is in Stand By mode?

Describe the appearance of the system when it appears to go into Stand
By mode by itself and the appearance when you enter Stand By manually
- any difference?

What happens when you press the power button to bring it around under
both circumstances?