From: Someone-updating-windows on
Just wanted to post and confirm this helped in my case to, this far into
deployment of SP3 i'd have expected such silly problems to be fixed.

Anyhow, shutdown various SVCHOST processes and the installation carried
on(after about 2 hours of being stuck at the same point). However do note,
then ending these processes will cause the system to attempt to put itself
into a timed shutdown.

If/When that happens, Hit your Windows key + R, or just goto Start > Run,
and type in "shutdown -a" (without the quotes) and hit enter/OK, and this
will prevent the system shutting down your by now frustrating update to SP3.

I post this simply to aid other users stubling onto this thread.

:)

From: Shenan Stanley on
Someone-updating-windows wrote:
> Just wanted to post and confirm this helped in my case to, this far
> into deployment of SP3 i'd have expected such silly problems to be
> fixed.
>
> Anyhow, shutdown various SVCHOST processes and the installation
> carried on(after about 2 hours of being stuck at the same point).
> However do note, then ending these processes will cause the system
> to attempt to put itself into a timed shutdown.
>
> If/When that happens, Hit your Windows key + R, or just goto Start
> > Run, and type in "shutdown -a" (without the quotes) and hit
> enter/OK, and this will prevent the system shutting down your by
> now frustrating update to SP3.
>
> I post this simply to aid other users stubling onto this thread.
>
> :)

Sounds like you are infested with malware.

As far as 'this far into SP3', it doesn't change - it was released, it is
the same SP3 as the day it was released and most of the issues people have
installing it are due to something being wrong with their systems.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP