From: OREALLY on
Whenever I STOP a search while it is searching the computer freezes up and I
have to go to task manager to end the search. Any reason or repair for this?

Thanks,

Oreally

From: thanatoid on
"OREALLY" <oreally(a)comcast.net> wrote in

> Whenever I STOP a search while it is searching the computer
> freezes up and I have to go to task manager to end the
> search. Any reason or repair for this?

Yes, decide what you REALLY want to do before you do it -
especially when using a buggy MS app - or get a file manager
which lets you search for things MS don't even know about: Total
Commander.
From: Tim Meddick on
I support what "thanatoid" advises in his response, however, there are some things
you can do to curb XP from getting "tied up" in operations involving searches.

Attempt to re-arrange files and folders into a more logical and easy to understand
structure - deleting, where possible, any older, redundant and outdated files.

Perform a defragmentation on all hard-drives - and repeat regularly.

And another thing that may well have a bearing on your issue - could have been caused
by the resident portion of either an anti-virus or anti-malware program.

Next time you do a search, while it is in progress, open Task Manager and see what
other programs start to eat up memory as the search progresses.

If, as in the case of Windows Defender on my system, you see another program getting
carried away with itself, then this could well account for a "freeze" or lock-up if
you try to abort the procedure.

If this is what is happening on your system, you should temporarily deactivate these
programs for the time it takes to complete any search operations...

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

From: Leonard Grey on
You think that Windows Search will have an easier time if you
"re-arrange files and folders into a more logical and easy to understand
structure"?

What method of organization do you suspect Windows Search finds "more
logical and easy to understand"...and how did you arrive at that conclusion?

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

From: Tim Meddick on
So you don't imagine that bad practices such as having 1000's of files in the root
dir, negatively affects processes involving disk operations?

==