From: Galen on
In news:CC9578F3-EFD5-45EE-8A39-C9D890E667D3(a)microsoft.com,
Sandy Anne <SandyAnne(a)discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> "Galen" wrote:
>> (1) When was the last time you checked the disk for errors and
>> defragged?
>
>> (2) And are you getting any errors as it goes into hibernation?
>>
>> (3) One more odd guess. Do you have a lot of USB devices or dongles
>> attached? What happens if you disconnect them and give it a whirl?
>

> Thank you for your continuing interest.
>
> (1) I had run chkdsk and defragged only about a week before I started
> to use hibernate. I have just done both again but still same problem.
>
> (2) I've only once seen it go into hibernation and it looked OK -
> just the going into hibernation screen
>
> (3) I have only the basic USB stuff - mouse, keyboard, printer,
> scanner, speakers, modem, ethernet (maybe other things I don't
> realise are USB things) - no game consoles, joysticks, external
> drives or anything. I don't have any dongles I'm aware of. I
> haven't got the confidence to disconnect things (although the scanner
> is disconnected anyway). I suppose I could disconnect the printer
> and speakers without worry, couldn't I?
>
> I'd be grateful for any more thoughts ...

I took a couple of days of some "me time" to enjoy the finally almost good
weather. I'd check to see if the USB devices have suddenly started causing
issues with hibernation. If they have then you may want to look on their
manufacturer's web site for new drivers.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

From: Sandy Anne on
> I'd check to see if the USB devices have suddenly started causing
> issues with hibernation. If they have then you may want to look on their
> manufacturer's web site for new drivers.

Thank you and I hope you enjoyed your break.

I had a service engineer here today for my partner's PC. I asked him if he
could throw any light on the problem. No. For your information, though, it
appears I have a terminology problem - he says that I don't have ANY USB
devices - my mouse, keybord, etc use PS2 connectors. He confirms I don't
have any dongles.

I've decided to give up and just set the hard drive to turn off after an
hour instead of trying to hibernate the PC. If I'm so worried about saving
energy, I'll just have to be more organised!!
From: Galen on
In news:4A100700-FF15-4C12-8AD3-E9100E9D7DCE(a)microsoft.com,
Sandy Anne <SandyAnne(a)discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

>> I'd check to see if the USB devices have suddenly started causing
>> issues with hibernation. If they have then you may want to look on
>> their manufacturer's web site for new drivers.
>
> Thank you and I hope you enjoyed your break.
>
> I had a service engineer here today for my partner's PC. I asked him
> if he could throw any light on the problem. No. For your
> information, though, it appears I have a terminology problem - he
> says that I don't have ANY USB devices - my mouse, keybord, etc use
> PS2 connectors. He confirms I don't have any dongles.
>
> I've decided to give up and just set the hard drive to turn off after
> an hour instead of trying to hibernate the PC. If I'm so worried
> about saving energy, I'll just have to be more organised!!

Standby is also a good low-energy option for you to explore. That's
generally what I use on a number of the systems here and opt, instead, to
use hibernation manually when I have to turn them off for a while or know I
won't be using them for a couple of days.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2