From: Jonathan Fine on
David Mark wrote:

>> I haven't read Zakas' book. Juriy reviewed it.
>>
>> http://perfectionkills.com/professional-javascript-review/
>
> He's nice about it, but clearly it is another pathetic compendium of
> misinformation about browser scripting.

Actually, he writes: "The book is a solid foundation for anyone serious
about Javascript."

--
Jonathan
From: David Mark on
On Jan 13, 11:49 am, Jonathan Fine <J.F...(a)open.ac.uk> wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
> >> I haven't read Zakas' book. Juriy reviewed it.
>
> >>http://perfectionkills.com/professional-javascript-review/
>
> > He's nice about it, but clearly it is another pathetic compendium of
> > misinformation about browser scripting.
> Actually, he writes: "The book is a solid foundation for anyone serious
>
> about Javascript."

Like I said, he was being (too) nice about it. Read further and it
becomes clear that it is not a solid foundation at all. The review is
a bit of a contradiction in that regard.
From: Jonathan Fine on
David Mark wrote:
>>> He's nice about it, but clearly it is another pathetic compendium of
>>> misinformation about browser scripting.
>> Actually, he writes: "The book is a solid foundation for anyone serious
>>
>> about Javascript."
>>

> Like I said, he was being (too) nice about it. Read further and it
> becomes clear that it is not a solid foundation at all. The review is
> a bit of a contradiction in that regard.

The reviewer gives it a mark of 7/10. You seem to be giving it a mark
of 0/10.

The reviewer sees good parts and not so good parts. It seems that you
see only not so good parts.

However, neither of us have read the book.

--
Jonathan
From: Jonathan Fine on
David Mark wrote:
> Jonathan Fine wrote:
>> David Mark wrote:

>>> Like I said, he was being (too) nice about it. Read further and it
>>> becomes clear that it is not a solid foundation at all. The review is
>>> a bit of a contradiction in that regard.
>> The reviewer gives it a mark of 7/10. You seem to be giving it a mark
>> of 0/10.
>
> And I insist that that score does not match the review. Perhaps he was
> being too kind or in a particularly giving mood. I don't know.

I think the score does match the review.

[snip]

>> However, neither of us have read the book.
>
> I don't need to, nor do I need to watch any videos of him talking about
> his book. The YouTube "experts" are a waste of time. You might as well
> try to learn real estate from late night TV commercials. ;)

As you have not read the book, I will not give much weight to your
opinions on it.

--
Jonathan
From: David Mark on
Jonathan Fine wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
>> Jonathan Fine wrote:

>>> The reviewer gives it a mark of 7/10. You seem to be giving it a mark
>>> of 0/10.
>>
>> And I insist that that score does not match the review. Perhaps he was
>> being too kind or in a particularly giving mood. I don't know.
>
> I think the score does match the review.

Based on what?

> [snip]
>
>>> However, neither of us have read the book.
>>
>> I don't need to, nor do I need to watch any videos of him talking about
>> his book. The YouTube "experts" are a waste of time. You might as well
>> try to learn real estate from late night TV commercials. ;)
>
> As you have not read the book, I will not give much weight to your
> opinions on it.

Well, you never read it either. :)