From: "Jack" on
Hello All,

Can anyone recommend a good open source zip code search application and
database?

Thanks,

Jack

From: Nathan Nobbe on
On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Jack <DeWebDude(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Can anyone recommend a good open source zip code search application and
> database?

depends on what you want, u.s., canada & mexico are pretty easy to find but
for other non domestic countries if you find something good feel free to
share :)

for a nice freebie that works on u.s. locations, snag the geoip extension
from pecl -

http://php.net/manual/en/book.geoip.php

-nathan
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Jack <DeWebDude(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello All,
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a good open source zip code search application
> and
> > database?
> >

> depends on what you want, u.s., canada & mexico are pretty easy to find
> but
> for other non domestic countries if you find something good feel free
> share :)
>
> for a nice freebie that works on u.s. locations, snag the geoip
> extension
> from pecl -
>
> http://php.net/manual/en/book.geoip.php
>
> -nathan

IIRC, geoip is lookup based on host name or IP address for country, region, city, etc... similar to whois for DNS. I think the OP wants to look geographic information, such as city, county, state/province, etc..., based on a given zip code like 92723.

Regards,
Tommy

From: Nathan Nobbe on
On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Tommy Pham <tommyhp2(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

ahh, perhaps a hasty reply on my part - heres a nice freebie mentioned by
geoip -

http://geocoder.ibegin.com/downloads.php

-nathan
From: Jason Pruim on

On Apr 15, 2010, at 3:21 PM, Jack wrote:

> Hello All,
>

> Can anyone recommend a good open source zip code search application
> and
> database?

If it's us zip's you want... I'd go straight to the source... http://www.usps.com/zip4/welcome.htm?from=home_header&page=findazipcode

The post office also does have API's for hooking into it if you can
handle the restrictions since they are the government :)