From: Marc Girod on
On Jan 14, 10:29 pm, fortunatus <daniel.elia...(a)excite.com> wrote:

> Nobody expects non-programmers to be able to generate programmers's
> requirements.

Unfortunately, many people do.
This is bullshit from the start and
results in more bullshit. How this
bullshit is dealt with is an important
part of everyday life nowadays.

> Programmers generate requirements for themselves based on less formal
> Q&A with the customer.

Formality is another interesting way
to glide astray from reality.
Formality doesn't bind to precision,
or to correctness.

Formal semantics are a myth, precisely
one which fights the reality of code
semantics.
What makes code semantics special, and
thus more interesting, is that code is
meant to be run, and not only to be read.

That is, contrarily to any other kind
of representation, code is not semantics
about something else: it is embodied,
operational, semantics.

Now, the problem is one of communications
(whether Q&A with customers or else.)

> The
> requirements might be in the programmer's head, and they might be
> developed by evolutionary process throughout the code writing, but
> they exist.

Until there is a program, their existence
doesn't imply 'essence', i.e may not be
consistent of even feasible (no proof of
convergence).

> My point is that the work needs to be broken up and distributed among
> team members before ambiguity is resolved.

And even then.
Ambiguities get resolved while merging the
contributions (aka integration).

Marc
From: Nick Keighley on
On 14 Jan, 22:29, fortunatus <daniel.elia...(a)excite.com> wrote:
> On Jan 14, 9:46 am, ccc31807 <carte...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > In my own job, which requires writing software for lay users, all I
> > ever get is abbreviated English language requests, and I have learned
> > better than to ask users for their requirements because they have no
> > idea what requirements are.
>
> Nobody expects non-programmers to be able to generate programmers's
> requirements.

but it isn't unreasonable to expect them to be able to articulate
their own requirements. Do they want a word processor or an ABS?

> Programmers generate requirements for themselves based on less formal
> Q&A with the customer.
>
> No matter what, a programmer works to specific requirements that are
> supposed to match the user's expectations and/or needs.  The
> requirements might be in the programmer's head, and they might be
> developed by evolutionary process throughout the code writing, but
> they exist.  If there is more than one programmer on a team then there
> is a need to codify requirements into documents to some degree.
>
> I think it is not feasible to say that requriements can be so detailed
> as to be directly executable.

various people have though (wrongly I think). The TDD people sometimes
claim the test is an executable requirement.

> In teamwork it is useful to communicate
> when there remains a large degree of ambiguity, and allow team members
> to contribute to resolutions.
>
> So you can use Lisp to capture/express requirements,

no. requirements are a communication with an end user. Only the most
sophisticated of end users could be epected to read lisp.

From: Tad McClellan on
["Followup-To:" header set to comp.lang.perl.misc.]

Nick Keighley <nick_keighley_nospam(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 14 Jan, 22:29, fortunatus <daniel.elia...(a)excite.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 14, 9:46 am, ccc31807 <carte...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> > In my own job, which requires writing software for lay users, all I
>> > ever get is abbreviated English language requests, and I have learned
>> > better than to ask users for their requirements because they have no
>> > idea what requirements are.
>>
>> Nobody expects non-programmers to be able to generate programmers's
>> requirements.
>
> but it isn't unreasonable to expect them to be able to articulate
> their own requirements.

Unreasonable? No.

Unrealistic. Yes.

:-(

--
Tad McClellan
email: perl -le "print scalar reverse qq/moc.liamg\100cm.j.dat/"
From: Tamas K Papp on
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 03:28:57 -0800, Nick Keighley wrote:

> On 14 Jan, 22:29, fortunatus <daniel.elia...(a)excite.com> wrote:
>>
>> Nobody expects non-programmers to be able to generate programmers's
>> requirements.
>
> but it isn't unreasonable to expect them to be able to articulate their
> own requirements. Do they want a word processor or an ABS?

Reasonableness is not the right concept here.

There is a market for programmers, and some employers/customers want
programmers who can write software without being given super-specific
formal requirements. Programmers who can cater to this market by
making an effort to understand the problem domain may enjoy an
advantage. The market will decide. If you don't like the market
outcome, you can complain that it is "unreasonable", but no one will
care.

Tamas
From: Pascal Costanza on
On 15/01/2010 12:28, Nick Keighley wrote:
> On 14 Jan, 22:29, fortunatus<daniel.elia...(a)excite.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 14, 9:46 am, ccc31807<carte...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> In my own job, which requires writing software for lay users, all I
>>> ever get is abbreviated English language requests, and I have learned
>>> better than to ask users for their requirements because they have no
>>> idea what requirements are.
>>
>> Nobody expects non-programmers to be able to generate programmers's
>> requirements.
>
> but it isn't unreasonable to expect them to be able to articulate
> their own requirements. Do they want a word processor or an ABS?

Customer: "I am the owner of a company, and I want my employees to be
able to do their work more efficiently using computers. Can you help me?"
Programmer: "So, do you want a word processor or an ABS?"

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last