From: Roger on
I have a main form with 2 prompts
filter
itemClass

and a continuous sub form with 2 prompts
itemClass (to establish a master / child link)
feature (a comboxBox, column width 0;2)

an itemClass can have many features
the rowsource for 'feature' is SELECT featureId, feature FROM
tblFeature

since tblFeature has hundreds of records, I want to use the 'filter'
prompt on the main form
to restrict the list

so the feature onEnter event modifies the rowsource if filtering is
required to
SELECT * FROM tblFeature WHERE feature like '* filter *'

and the feature onExit event sets the rowsource back to the original

this works fine in providing a filtered list
but any other feature(s) on the form, whose ID is not part of the
filtered list, displays blanks until after the onExit event

is there a way to display these features while filtering the list for
the current
feature that I'm selecting ?
From: Salad on
Roger wrote:

> I have a main form with 2 prompts
> filter
> itemClass
>
> and a continuous sub form with 2 prompts
> itemClass (to establish a master / child link)
> feature (a comboxBox, column width 0;2)
>
> an itemClass can have many features
> the rowsource for 'feature' is SELECT featureId, feature FROM
> tblFeature
>
> since tblFeature has hundreds of records, I want to use the 'filter'
> prompt on the main form
> to restrict the list
>
> so the feature onEnter event modifies the rowsource if filtering is
> required to
> SELECT * FROM tblFeature WHERE feature like '* filter *'
>
> and the feature onExit event sets the rowsource back to the original
>
> this works fine in providing a filtered list
> but any other feature(s) on the form, whose ID is not part of the
> filtered list, displays blanks until after the onExit event
>
> is there a way to display these features while filtering the list for
> the current
> feature that I'm selecting ?

Sure. Present another form, single record, to the user on entry to the
field. Or do your modifications in a single record form.
From: Roger on
On Jan 28, 12:16 pm, Salad <sa...(a)oilandvinegar.com> wrote:
> Roger wrote:
> > I have a main form with 2 prompts
> >   filter
> >   itemClass
>
> > and a continuous sub form with 2 prompts
> >   itemClass  (to establish a master / child link)
> >   feature  (a comboxBox, column width 0;2)
>
> > an itemClass can have many features
> > the rowsource for 'feature' is SELECT featureId, feature FROM
> > tblFeature
>
> > since tblFeature has hundreds of records, I want to use the 'filter'
> > prompt on the main form
> > to restrict the list
>
> > so the feature onEnter event modifies the rowsource if filtering is
> > required to
> >   SELECT * FROM tblFeature WHERE feature like '*  filter *'
>
> > and the feature onExit event sets the rowsource back to the original
>
> > this works fine in providing a filtered list
> > but any other feature(s) on the form, whose ID is not part of the
> > filtered list, displays blanks until after the onExit event
>
> > is there a way to display these features while filtering the list for
> > the current
> > feature that I'm selecting ?
>
> Sure.  Present another form, single record, to the user on entry to the
> field.  Or do your modifications in a single record form.- Hide quoted text -

opening another form with just one combobox to filter with seems
overkill, there must be a better way

to simplify
I have a table with 200+ rows
I have a continuous form with just one combobox, whose rowsource is
select id, description from table

the list is too long to scroll, so I figured I'd filter it
so I add a field 'filter'

now the combobox's onEnter() event does
select id, description from table where description is like ' filter
'

this reduces the list that I need to scroll

now if the data is
1 apple
2 banana

and in the first record's combobox, I select 'apple' everything is
fine

now if I set the filter to 'a', and I dropdown the list on the 2nd
record's combobox,
apple is still displayed in the 1st record's combobox, and apple/
banana are my list for the 2nd combobox

but if my filter is 'na', nothing is displayed in the first combobox
(even though its data = 1) and banana is the only selection in my list
for the 2nd combobox

once I select banana and I return focus to the filter prompt, since
the comboboxes onExit event sets the rowsource back to
select id, description from table

the first combobox on my continuous form (record 1) shows apple
and second record shows banana

how do I get the first record to display 'apple' while the dropdown
list is open for the second record, when my filter is 'na' ?