From: Roger on
the rowsource for my comboBox is
select id, title from someTable

where title is text(100)

the comboBox columnWidth is 0;1"

in order to see all the data, the height of the comboBox is .666,
showing 4 lines of text
everything is cool so far

now when I dropdown to the list of 'titles', the list starts at the
bottom of the comboBox
if the height of the comboBox is .1666, this looks ok

is there a way to start the list at the top of the comboBox ?
From: Salad on
Roger wrote:
> the rowsource for my comboBox is
> select id, title from someTable
>
> where title is text(100)
>
> the comboBox columnWidth is 0;1"
>
> in order to see all the data, the height of the comboBox is .666,
> showing 4 lines of text
> everything is cool so far
>
> now when I dropdown to the list of 'titles', the list starts at the
> bottom of the comboBox
> if the height of the comboBox is .1666, this looks ok
>
> is there a way to start the list at the top of the comboBox ?

Why don't you set the ListWidth property to something like 7" and the
ColumnWidth property to 0;7?
From: Roger on
On Jan 27, 4:53 pm, Salad <sa...(a)oilandvinegar.com> wrote:
> Roger wrote:
> > the rowsource for my comboBox is
> >    select id, title from someTable
>
> > where title is text(100)
>
> > the comboBox columnWidth is 0;1"
>
> > in order to see all the data, the height of the comboBox is .666,
> > showing 4 lines of text
> > everything is cool so far
>
> > now when I dropdown to the list of 'titles', the list starts at the
> > bottom of the comboBox
> > if the height of the comboBox is .1666, this looks ok
>
> > is there a way to start the list at the top of the comboBox ?
>
> Why don't you set the ListWidth property to something like 7" and the
> ColumnWidth property to 0;7?- Hide quoted text -

tried it... doesn't position the start of the list at the top edge of
the comboBox
it still at the bottom edge

and length of the text won't fit on the screen (> 11" or whatever)
without horizontal scrolling, thus the need for a multi-lines display
area
From: Salad on
Roger wrote:

> On Jan 27, 4:53 pm, Salad <sa...(a)oilandvinegar.com> wrote:
>
>>Roger wrote:
>>
>>>the rowsource for my comboBox is
>>> select id, title from someTable
>>
>>>where title is text(100)
>>
>>>the comboBox columnWidth is 0;1"
>>
>>>in order to see all the data, the height of the comboBox is .666,
>>>showing 4 lines of text
>>>everything is cool so far
>>
>>>now when I dropdown to the list of 'titles', the list starts at the
>>>bottom of the comboBox
>>>if the height of the comboBox is .1666, this looks ok
>>
>>>is there a way to start the list at the top of the comboBox ?
>>
>>Why don't you set the ListWidth property to something like 7" and the
>>ColumnWidth property to 0;7?- Hide quoted text -

> tried it... doesn't position the start of the list at the top edge of
> the comboBox
> it still at the bottom edge
>
> and length of the text won't fit on the screen (> 11" or whatever)
> without horizontal scrolling, thus the need for a multi-lines display
> area

What font are you using? Arial 22 Bold? There should be no reason to
scroll if you set the ListWidth property to hold the size of the total
combo. Are there tabs or crlf's in the field?

I don't know if you have a default value in the combo box. Or if you
set the index of the combo to something. You are doing something
incorrectly.

I did this.

Private Sub Form_Current()
Dim intCount As Integer
If Me.Combo1.ListCount > 0 Then
'there's something in the combobox regardless
'the show ColumnHeadings property

'determine the first value in the combo depending
'on the column headings setting
intCount = IIf(Me.Combo1.ColumnHeads, 1, 0)

'now go there
Me.Combo1 = Me.Combo1.ItemData(intCount)
End If
End Sub

You could even modify the above to a function, assume DefVal(), and enter
=DefVal()
in the Default property of the combo to seleet/highlight the first row.

Look in Help for the property settings I used above for clarification.
From: Roger on
On Jan 28, 12:11 pm, Salad <sa...(a)oilandvinegar.com> wrote:
> Roger wrote:

> >>Why don't you set the ListWidth property to something like 7" and the
> >>ColumnWidth property to 0;7?- Hide quoted text -

> > tried it... doesn't position the start of the list at the top edge of
> > the comboBox
> > it still at the bottom edge
>
> > and length of the text won't fit on the screen (> 11" or whatever)
> > without horizontal scrolling, thus the need for a multi-lines display
> > area
>
> What font are you using?  Arial 22 Bold?  There should be no reason to
> scroll if you set the ListWidth property to hold the size of the total
> combo.  Are there tabs or crlf's in the field?
>
> I don't know if you have a default value in the combo box.  Or if you
> set the index of the combo to something.  You are doing something
> incorrectly.
>
> I did this.
>
> Private Sub Form_Current()
>      Dim intCount As Integer
>      If Me.Combo1.ListCount > 0 Then
>          'there's something in the combobox regardless
>         'the show ColumnHeadings property
>
>          'determine the first value in the combo depending
>         'on the column headings setting
>          intCount = IIf(Me.Combo1.ColumnHeads, 1, 0)
>
>          'now go there
>          Me.Combo1 = Me.Combo1.ItemData(intCount)
>      End If
> End Sub
>
> You could even modify the above to a function, assume DefVal(), and enter
>         =DefVal()
> in the Default property of the combo to seleet/highlight the first row.
>
> Look in Help for the property settings I used above for clarification.- Hide quoted text -

font is arial 8, the width of the control is 6.5", the width of my
form when maximized without horizontal scrolling is about 10"

the data being displayed is text(200)

so there is no font that will allow me to display it all across 10",
and since I want to see as much of the text as possible, I've set up
the multi line field

if only there was a 'dropdown' event, I might be able to modify the
control's height ?