From: Tommy Pham on
----- Original Message ----

I see several problems.

1) It's bad practice to put the log file in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot where anyone can access it. It's a major security issue.
2) It's been over 3 years since I dealt (hands on) with WinXP so here goes... IIS by default runs as NETWORK SERVICE. That builtin account does not have create/modify rights on C:\Inetpub\wwwroot (by default). Thus you wouldn't be able to see the file created.

> and after 10 minutes still "Connecting / Waiting for .../phpinfo.php"

This is a good sign as it seems IIS is trying to run PHP but having some problems. Check the System & Application event logs for errors. Change phperror.log file location, restart IIS, and try phpinfo.php again.

From: cr.vegelin on
From: Tommy Pham on

It's not the same thing as using your web browser and try to view the *.HTM file(s) through IIS. Notice the protocol difference file:// vs http://.

> So the webserver is accepting a connection ...
> Nevertheless, where should I enter: telnet 127.0.0.1 80 ?
> From the OS prompt C:\ ?

In a command prompt. Directory path doesn't matter.

From: cr.vegelin on

>> > So it is not just .php files which will not work? If you have trouble
>> > with
>> .html files as well then it almost sounds like a firewall issue since
>> your
>> connection "hangs" until timeout.
>> >
>> > Try this to see if the webserver is accepting a connection:
>> > telnet 127.0.0.1 80
>> > Then type the two lines below, ending each one with the enter key (new
>> > line)
>> > HEAD / HTTP/1.1
>> > Host: 127.0.0.1
>> > (hit enter once more)
>> >
>> > And you should get an answer from your server, mine looks like this:
>> > HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>> > Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 09:49:16 GMT
>> > Server: Apache/2.2.13 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.13 OpenSSL/0.9.8k DAV/2
>> > SVN/1.6.5
>> PHP/5.3.0 with Suhosin-Patch
>> > Connection closed by foreign host.
>> >

>> > Does this work?
>>
>> John,
>> Opening a *.HTM file from Windows Explorer goes well.
>
> It's not the same thing as using your web browser and try to view the
> *.HTM file(s) through IIS. Notice the protocol difference file:// vs
> http://.
>
>> So the webserver is accepting a connection ...
>> Nevertheless, where should I enter: telnet 127.0.0.1 80 ?
>> From the OS prompt C:\ ?
>
> In a command prompt. Directory path doesn't matter.

From the C:\ prompt, I did:
telnet 127.0.0.1 80 [Enter]
HEAD / HTTP/1.1 [Enter]
Host: 127.0.0.1 [Enter]
[Enter]
but all I get is a black window ...

From: cr.vegelin on

>> > Inside php.ini is the option to specify a separate PHP log file
>> > here is the setting for my main system (Linux)
>> >
>> > error_log = /home/user/php_log.txt
>> >
>> > Remember to restart your webserver after adjusting php.ini
>> >
>> > EDIT: Sry, for the double post, I did not use reply all.
>> > --
>>
>> Thanks John,
>>
>> In php.ini I defined: error_log = C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\PHPError.log
>> then restarted the server with iisreset.exe
>> then started with IE: http://127.0.0.1/.../phpinfo.php
>> and after 10 minutes still "Connecting / Waiting for .../phpinfo.php"
>> and still no C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\PHPError.log created ...
>>

> I see several problems.
>
> 1) It's bad practice to put the log file in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot where
> anyone can access it. It's a major security issue.
> 2) It's been over 3 years since I dealt (hands on) with WinXP so here
> goes... IIS by default runs as NETWORK SERVICE. That builtin account
> does not have create/modify rights on C:\Inetpub\wwwroot (by default).
> Thus you wouldn't be able to see the file created.
>
>> and after 10 minutes still "Connecting / Waiting for .../phpinfo.php"
>
> This is a good sign as it seems IIS is trying to run PHP but having some
> problems. Check the System & Application event logs for errors. Change
> phperror.log file location, restart IIS, and try phpinfo.php again.

Hi Tommy,

In php.ini I changed to: error_log = C:\PHPerror.log
restarted the IIS server, then http://127.0.0.1/.../phpinfo.php
and after 5 minutes still "Connecting / Waiting for .../phpinfo.php"

Then I changed to: error_log = C:\tmp\PHPerror.log
restarted the IIS server, then http://127.0.0.1/.../phpinfo.php
and after 5 minutes still "Connecting / Waiting for .../phpinfo.php"

I will look for all local filenames containing the string "log" ...

Thanks, Cor