From: Kevin the Drummer on
I've noticed that Mandriva 2010.0 appears to be using anacron. I expect
that this is the reason that when my machine has been off for more than
a day, that when I boot it up the next time, then the nightly cron jobs
run earlier than nighttime. I like this. But, I wonder, and I haven't
been able to tell yet, do the users' personal cron jobs get run as well
as the system stuff in /etc/cron.* ???

Thanks...

From: Bit Twister on
On Tue, 25 May 2010 10:40:54 -0500, Kevin the Drummer wrote:
> I've noticed that Mandriva 2010.0 appears to be using anacron. I expect
> that this is the reason that when my machine has been off for more than
> a day, that when I boot it up the next time, then the nightly cron jobs
> run earlier than nighttime. I like this. But, I wonder, and I haven't
> been able to tell yet, do the users' personal cron jobs get run as well
> as the system stuff in /etc/cron.* ???

I would expect them to run.
From: Teemu Likonen on
* 2010-05-25 15:56 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:

> On Tue, 25 May 2010 10:40:54 -0500, Kevin the Drummer wrote:
>> I've noticed that Mandriva 2010.0 appears to be using anacron. I
>> expect that this is the reason that when my machine has been off for
>> more than a day, that when I boot it up the next time, then the
>> nightly cron jobs run earlier than nighttime. I like this. But, I
>> wonder, and I haven't been able to tell yet, do the users' personal
>> cron jobs get run as well as the system stuff in /etc/cron.* ???
>
> I would expect them to run.

In Debian, anacron doesn't run users' personal cron jobs (created with
"/usr/bin/crontab -e"). Only the normal cron system does.
From: James Kerr on
Kevin the Drummer wrote:

> I've noticed that Mandriva 2010.0 appears to be using anacron. I
> expect that this is the reason that when my machine has been off for
> more than a day, that when I boot it up the next time, then the
> nightly cron jobs
> run earlier than nighttime. I like this. But, I wonder, and I
> haven't been able to tell yet, do the users' personal cron jobs get
> run as well as the system stuff in /etc/cron.* ???

2010.0 uses cronie-anacron by default. On my box, jobs set up using
'crontab -e' are run only if the system is running at the scheduled
times.

Jim

From: Bit Twister on
On Tue, 25 May 2010 19:09:09 +0300, Teemu Likonen wrote:

> In Debian, anacron doesn't run users' personal cron jobs (created with
> "/usr/bin/crontab -e"). Only the normal cron system does.

Well shuckey dern, Mandriva's cronie-anacron works same way.

Quick speed read through man pages suggest adding something like
1 0 cron.users nice run-parts /var/spool/cron
in /etc/anacrontab should enable them.