From: John Larkin on
This looks really weird to me...

http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/3960

Does it resemble anything you've ever seen? It looks truly ghastly to
program. For example, allowing printf() to use floats adds 3500 bytes
to a program binary.

John

From: larwe on
On Jan 31, 2:03 pm, John Larkin
<jjlar...(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
> This looks really weird to me...
>
> http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/3960

MAXQ is aimed at very low power consumption applications. They have
been trying desperately to sell it to us. Unfortunately for any real
project we've considered, MSP430 is indistinguishable from MAXQ power-
wise. We have a lot of investment in ARM, AVR and MSP430; MAXQ is just
"yet another proprietary microcontroller" with no really compelling
feature. No sale.

From: Jan Panteltje on
On a sunny day (Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:03:03 -0800) it happened John Larkin
<jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in
<vap1s2ttifuhnct6n0101qvn1uhn504jpc(a)4ax.com>:

>This looks really weird to me...
>
>http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/3960
>
>Does it resemble anything you've ever seen? It looks truly ghastly to
>program. For example, allowing printf() to use floats adds 3500 bytes
>to a program binary.
>
>John

That last example:
Remember Z80 compare increase and repeat?
And that was one instruction.
It also has otir (out increase and repeat).
Well, OK, I guess their system works.....
But I sort of do not see the advantage.
It is faster then PIC io... but many processors allow direct access
to io / or memory [mapped io], also with indexes.
Anyways you can program your own in FPGA, opencores.org has a processor
generator.
Each his own processor :-) OK, now to write all the assemblers and compilers.
From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

John Larkin wrote:

> This looks really weird to me...
>
> http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/3960
>
> Does it resemble anything you've ever seen?

Just another small 16-bitter. From Maxim, which sounds like never use it.

It looks truly ghastly to
> program.

Coding at low level is a task of compiler. BTW, do they provide decent
tools for MAXQ?

For example, allowing printf() to use floats adds 3500 bytes
> to a program binary.

I'd say this is not unusual for the printf() overhead.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant

http://www.abvolt.com
From: Jim Stewart on
John Larkin wrote:

> This looks really weird to me...
>
> http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/3960
>
> Does it resemble anything you've ever seen? It looks truly ghastly to
> program. For example, allowing printf() to use floats adds 3500 bytes
> to a program binary.

It looks more like writing a cpu's microcode
than traditional assembly language. Which
might be fun if you're into that sort of thing.