From: Robert P. J. Day on
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010, Michal Marek wrote:

> On 07/15/2010 01:32 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> > normally i wait for the merge window, then run my kernel scanning
> > scripts and post results. any interest in me doing that earlier? i
> > just did a quick test and found a number of incongruities like, for
> > example:
> >
> > $ grep -r "config QT2160" *
> > drivers/input/keyboard/Kconfig:config QT2160
> > $
> >
> > $ grep -r KEYBOARD_QT2160 *
> > drivers/input/keyboard/Makefile:obj-$(CONFIG_KEYBOARD_QT2160) += qt2160.o
> > $
>
> These are plain bugs, so it's IMO OK to send fixes for these at any
> time before the final release. In the worst case, it will be merged
> after the final release.

i wasn't suggesting that was the only example, only that it was an
obvious one. there are others. just for fun, here's the entire list
of references specifically from *Makefiles* to Kconfig variables that
don't exist (for whatever reason):

===== ATHEROS_AR71XX =====
../drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath9k/Makefile:ath9k-$(CONFIG_ATHEROS_AR71XX) += ahb.o
===== KEYBOARD_QT2160 =====
../drivers/input/keyboard/Makefile:obj-$(CONFIG_KEYBOARD_QT2160) += qt2160.o
===== PCMCIA_IOCTL =====
../drivers/pcmcia/Makefile:pcmcia-$(CONFIG_PCMCIA_IOCTL) += pcmcia_ioctl.o
===== USB_ETH_FUNCTIONFS =====
../drivers/usb/gadget/Makefile:obj-$(CONFIG_USB_ETH_FUNCTIONFS) += g_eth_ffs.o

in other words, none of that content is ever going to get compiled.
mercifully, there are only four examples of that left in the tree.
used to be a lot more. clean up whatever catches your eye.

rday

p.s. i cc'ed greg kh since i suspect he'll want to do something about
that last one. i need sleep.

http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday
From: Robert P. J. Day on
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010, Greg KH wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 06:50:20PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> > ===== USB_ETH_FUNCTIONFS =====
> > ./drivers/usb/gadget/Makefile:obj-$(CONFIG_USB_ETH_FUNCTIONFS) += g_eth_ffs.o
>
> Ah, ick, that usb functionfs one is a real bug, nice catch. I too
> have been getting no sleep, and will just wait for you to send me a
> patch :)

just submitted patch on linux USB list ...

rday