From: Kyle Moffett on
Hi all,

In the "apr" testsuite, the "testatomic" test seems to get 4 processes
completely stuck in sys_futex. If I "kill -STOP" the process it
continues to run, chewing CPU. It seems that "kill -KILL" works,
though...

Because of the "kill -STOP" problem, I can't attach to it with GDB to
see where it's stuck, but I can dump /proc/$PID/stack repeatedly to
see where it seems to be spinning in the kernel. My kernel version is
2.6.32.15 plus arch/powerpc board-support patches.

In particular, I seem to have the following callchains (starting at sys_futex):

do_futex
futex_lock_pi
__switch_to
futex_lock_pi_atomic
cmpxchg_futex_value_locked
handle_page_fault
do_page_fault
fault_in_user_writeable
get_user_pages
__get_user_pages
__cond_resched
__switch_to
get_futex_key
__lock_page
sync_page
__switch_to
drop_futex_key_refs
iput
0x48026000
resume_kernel
__switch_to
resume_kernel
__switch_to

I noticed this particular problem while working on a Debian
"PowerPCSPE" port [0], so it's entirely possible that my EGLIBC build
is slightly broken, but even that should not make it completely
impossible to "kill -STOP" a process. My particular boards use the
"P2020" chipset (mpc85xx/e500v2 family).

Any advice on how to further debug this would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

[0] http://wiki.debian.org/PowerPCSPEPort