From: NT on
On Aug 27, 2:12 pm, daytripper <day_tri...(a)NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 13:02:11 -0700 (PDT), NT <meow2...(a)care2.com> wrote:
> >On Aug 25, 2:51 pm, daytripper <day_tri...(a)NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
> >> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 04:26:41 -0400, Paul <nos...(a)needed.com> wrote:
>
> >> [...]>I notice arstech also mentions powering, and I notice in the pinout
>
> >> [...]
>
> >> Back in the day, the -5V was often used in UARTs. If the OP's custom card is
> >> *that* old and relies on serial communication devices that are not single,
> >> positive input voltage, that could be a problem requiring resolution....
>
> >... not too hard to provide the -5v from a regulated wallwart though,
> >if necessary
>
> Well, other than cobbling up some way to connect that wall-wart to the
> internally located card, there's also the potential problem of power rail
> sequencing during power-up/power-off cycles, if any of the multi-voltage parts
> are sequence-sensitive...
>
> Cheers

You could use the built in pc psu to control the -5v reg.

NT
From: Yousuf Khan on
Dan Lenski wrote:
> And that's it... basically only one vendor, and only one processor
> family supported. I haven't found any others that support AMD
> processors at all. No Socket AM2/AM2+/AM3/F. Does anyone know of any
> motherboards for modern AMD processors that have ISA slots? Is there
> any technical impediment to producing one... such as lack of chipset
> support?

I'd say no, there may not be a technical impediment to building one,
just a marketing impediment. Since AMD's marketshare is smaller than
Intel's, the diversity in motherboard featureset is smaller too.

Yousuf Khan
From: daytripper on
On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 19:33:58 -0400, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>Dan Lenski wrote:
>> And that's it... basically only one vendor, and only one processor
>> family supported. I haven't found any others that support AMD
>> processors at all. No Socket AM2/AM2+/AM3/F. Does anyone know of any
>> motherboards for modern AMD processors that have ISA slots? Is there
>> any technical impediment to producing one... such as lack of chipset
>> support?
>

>I'd say no, there may not be a technical impediment to building one,
>just a marketing impediment. Since AMD's marketshare is smaller than
>Intel's, the diversity in motherboard featureset is smaller too.
>
> Yousuf Khan

Well, ok, but what difference does it make when the demand is virtually zero?

Cheers
From: Yousuf Khan on
daytripper wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 19:33:58 -0400, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I'd say no, there may not be a technical impediment to building one,
>> just a marketing impediment. Since AMD's marketshare is smaller than
>> Intel's, the diversity in motherboard featureset is smaller too.
>>
>> Yousuf Khan
>
> Well, ok, but what difference does it make when the demand is virtually zero?
>
> Cheers

Well, that's exactly the point, when the demand is nearly zero, the
demand is closer to zero for AMD boards than it would be for Intel boards.

Yousuf Khan