From: Stepan Moskovchenko on
On 8/3/2010 2:23 AM, Roedel, Joerg wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 04:29:38PM -0400, Zach Pfeffer wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 09:58:02AM +0200, Roedel, Joerg wrote:
>>> In the means of the IOMMU-API the domain is the abstraction of an
>>> address space (in other words a page table). The IOMMU(s) which this domain
>>> is later assigned to are determined by the iommu_attach_device calls.
>>> I think the right way to go here is to create the concept of a
>>> device-context in the IOMMU-API and add functions like
>>>
>>> iommu_attach_context(struct iommu_domain *domain,
>>> struct iommu_context *ctxt);
>>> iommu_detach_context(struct iommu_context *ctxt);
>>>
>>> This would work if you can determine in your iommu-driver which iommu
>>> you need to program for which device. What do you think?
>>>
>> Joerg, I'd like to make sure I understand this. A domain is an address
>> space separate from the actual page-tables that may be part of an
>> iommu_context, correct? After I iommu_attach_context the ctxt will
>> reflect the address space of the domain, correct?
> A domain is defined by a single page-table which can be modified using
> the iommu_map/iommu_unmap function calls. I am not completly sure what
> you mean by an iommu_context. Can you describe what it means in your
> context?
>
> Joerg

Joerg,
I think with some rework, all my use cases can be handled by your
existing iommu API. If the domain is treated basically a page table,
there will be some changes, but I think it can be done. I will push a
new version of my driver in a few days.

One thing that may be helpful for the future, however, is maybe
something like adding iommu_tlb_flush to the ops. I suppose this would
either have to take a device, or the domain would need to keep a list of
devices it had been attached to (so that their TLBs can be invalidated).
But I suppose on the other hand, iommu_map/unmap may be able to just
implicitly invalidate the TLB also, since TLB invalidation often follows
map/unmap. What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Steve
From: Roedel, Joerg on
On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 02:43:20PM -0400, Stepan Moskovchenko wrote:
> On 8/3/2010 2:23 AM, Roedel, Joerg wrote:
> > A domain is defined by a single page-table which can be modified using
> > the iommu_map/iommu_unmap function calls. I am not completly sure what
> > you mean by an iommu_context. Can you describe what it means in your
> > context?
>
> Joerg,
> I think with some rework, all my use cases can be handled by your
> existing iommu API. If the domain is treated basically a page table,
> there will be some changes, but I think it can be done. I will push a
> new version of my driver in a few days.
>
> One thing that may be helpful for the future, however, is maybe
> something like adding iommu_tlb_flush to the ops. I suppose this would
> either have to take a device, or the domain would need to keep a list of
> devices it had been attached to (so that their TLBs can be invalidated).
> But I suppose on the other hand, iommu_map/unmap may be able to just
> implicitly invalidate the TLB also, since TLB invalidation often follows
> map/unmap. What are your thoughts?

Sounds good. I am curious for your patches :-)

For the TLB-flush question, I think it would make sense to add iommu
tlb flushing functions to the IOMMU-API. We currently flush the TLB
implicitly in the map/unmap calls but thats very inefficient. It would
be better to have a seperate function for it in the API. The right
parameter for such a function is a domain. The IOMMU driver knows which
devices are attached to a domain an could easily flush all TLBs.

One alternative I can think of: An iommu_domain_commit() function which
syncs software changes of a domain to the hardware. The map/unmap calls
have to save which parts of the tlb need to be flushed and commit does
flush those parts then (or flush everything).

Joerg

--
AMD Operating System Research Center

Advanced Micro Devices GmbH Einsteinring 24 85609 Dornach
General Managers: Alberto Bozzo, Andrew Bowd
Registration: Dornach, Landkr. Muenchen; Registerger. Muenchen, HRB Nr. 43632