From: Php Developer on
Hi all,

I want to be able to have an array of elements of different types. As an example: the first element is a boolean, the second is an integer, and the thirs is a string.

In php there is no typing, i'm just wondering if there is a way to have that, it would be a lot better than having an array of strings and have to convert each element.

Thank you

The new Internet Explorer® 8 - Faster, safer, easier. Optimized for Yahoo! Get it Now for Free! at http://downloads.yahoo.com/ca/internetexplorer/
From: Nathan Rixham on
Php Developer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to be able to have an array of elements of different types. As an example: the first element is a boolean, the second is an integer, and the thirs is a string.
>
> In php there is no typing, i'm just wondering if there is a way to have that, it would be a lot better than having an array of strings and have to convert each element.

var_dump( array( true , 12 , "php already does this" ) );

array(3) {
[0]=> bool(true)
[1]=> int(12)
[2]=> string(21) "php already does this"
}

:)
From: Nilesh Govindarajan on
On 04/03/10 05:42, Nathan Rixham wrote:
> Php Developer wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I want to be able to have an array of elements of different types. As an example: the first element is a boolean, the second is an integer, and the thirs is a string.
>>
>> In php there is no typing, i'm just wondering if there is a way to have that, it would be a lot better than having an array of strings and have to convert each element.
>>

> var_dump( array( true , 12 , "php already does this" ) );
>
> array(3) {
> [0]=> bool(true)
> [1]=> int(12)
> [2]=> string(21) "php already does this"
> }
>
> :)

Yeah. But this feature of PHP is a boon if used carefully and a curse if
careless. You can get AMAZING results if you're not careful to check the
data types ;)

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Administrator
From: "Peter Pei" on

>> var_dump( array( true , 12 , "php already does this" ) );
>>
>> array(3) {
>> [0]=> bool(true)
>> [1]=> int(12)
>> [2]=> string(21) "php already does this"
>> }
>>
>> :)
>>

> Yeah. But this feature of PHP is a boon if used carefully and a curse if
> careless. You can get AMAZING results if you're not careful to check the
> data types ;)

And that's why language like C# and java supports <> to restrict the type
of data a collection can hold.