From: Ortwin Glück on

On 25.06.2010 17:19, Tejun Heo wrote:
> Patch attached, but please see below.

Cheers, I will give it a try and provide feedback if "it" happens again.

> Is it PATA?

Yes. This chipset doesn't have SATA, only PATA.

CONFIG_ATA=y
CONFIG_ATA_SFF=y
CONFIG_SATA_NV=y
CONFIG_PATA_AMD=y

> Why do you have 2.01?

for the DVD drive?

> Can you please attach full boot
> log?

attached.

Thanks.
Ortwin
From: Robert Hancock on
On 06/25/2010 12:00 PM, Ortwin Gl�ck wrote:

> On 25.06.2010 17:19, Tejun Heo wrote:
>> Patch attached, but please see below.
>
> Cheers, I will give it a try and provide feedback if "it" happens again.
>
>> Is it PATA?
>
> Yes. This chipset doesn't have SATA, only PATA.

Ahh, ok, it's not sata_nv at all then, it's pata_amd. On the same chip,
totally different controller though.

PATA doesn't normally use hard-resets as a means of error recovery -
that would mean hitting the RESET line, which I don't think most
controllers can do on software command (it usually only gets asserted on
power up or hitting the reset button), unlike on SATA where there's a
defined way to trigger a COMRESET which is mostly equivalent. Also, that
resets both devices on the channel, unlike soft reset which is specific
to one device.

From: Tejun Heo on
Hello,

On 06/26/2010 06:07 AM, Robert Hancock wrote:
> Ahh, ok, it's not sata_nv at all then, it's pata_amd. On the same chip,
> totally different controller though.
>
> PATA doesn't normally use hard-resets as a means of error recovery -
> that would mean hitting the RESET line, which I don't think most
> controllers can do on software command (it usually only gets asserted on
> power up or hitting the reset button), unlike on SATA where there's a
> defined way to trigger a COMRESET which is mostly equivalent. Also, that
> resets both devices on the channel, unlike soft reset which is specific
> to one device.

Yeah, if it's pata_amd and SRST isn't recovering the device, there
isn't much else to do. :-(

Thanks.

--
tejun
From: Ortwin Glück on
On 26.06.2010 06:07, Robert Hancock wrote:
> PATA doesn't normally use hard-resets as a means of error recovery -
> that would mean hitting the RESET line, which I don't think most
> controllers can do on software command

Alright, no worries. I'll try to address the problem from the hardware side
then: cables, drives, etc.

Thanks.
Ortwin
From: Sergei Shtylyov on
Hello.

Robert Hancock wrote:

>> On 25.06.2010 17:19, Tejun Heo wrote:
>>> Patch attached, but please see below.

>> Cheers, I will give it a try and provide feedback if "it" happens again.

>>> Is it PATA?

>> Yes. This chipset doesn't have SATA, only PATA.

> Ahh, ok, it's not sata_nv at all then, it's pata_amd. On the same chip,
> totally different controller though.

> PATA doesn't normally use hard-resets as a means of error recovery -
> that would mean hitting the RESET line, which I don't think most
> controllers can do on software command (it usually only gets asserted on
> power up or hitting the reset button), unlike on SATA where there's a
> defined way to trigger a COMRESET which is mostly equivalent. Also, that
> resets both devices on the channel, unlike soft reset which is specific
> to one device.

PATA soft reset affects both devices too. Unless you mean ATAPI Device
Reset command.

MBR, Sergei