From: Nick Keighley on
Has anyone come across the "attorney pattern"? If remember aright it
gave controlled access to the private members of a class. The
"attorney" class was a friend, with privileged access (hence attorney)
which it then granted to a limited set of other classes. It could also
provide access to some members and not others. It probably goes by
other names. Googling for it was unproductive as it tended find stuff
about attourneys...

nick keighley
From: Daniel T. on
Nick Keighley <nick_keighley_nospam(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone come across the "attorney pattern"? If remember aright it
> gave controlled access to the private members of a class. The
> "attorney" class was a friend, with privileged access (hence attorney)
> which it then granted to a limited set of other classes. It could also
> provide access to some members and not others. It probably goes by
> other names. Googling for it was unproductive as it tended find stuff
> about attourneys...
>
> nick keighley

Proxy is used to "Provide a surrogate or placeholder for another object
to control access to it." Maybe Proxy is a generalization of your
"attorney pattern"?
From: johnzabroski on
On Nov 10, 7:37 am, "Daniel T." <danie...(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
> Nick Keighley <nick_keighley_nos...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Has anyone come across the "attorney pattern"?  If remember aright it
> > gave controlled access to the private members of a class. The
> > "attorney" class was a friend, with privileged access (hence attorney)
> > which it then granted to a limited set of other classes. It could also
> > provide access to some members and not others. It probably goes by
> > other names. Googling for it was unproductive as it tended find stuff
> > about attourneys...
>
> > nick keighley
>
> Proxy is used to "Provide a surrogate or placeholder for another object
> to control access to it." Maybe Proxy is a generalization of your
> "attorney pattern"?

No. He is referring to the C++ Attorney-Client Idiom, as published in
Dr. Dobb's C++ User Journal.

See: http://www.ddj.com/cpp/184402053
From: johnzabroski on
On Nov 18, 2:49 pm, "johnzabro...(a)gmail.com" <johnzabro...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Nov 10, 7:37 am, "Daniel T." <danie...(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > Nick Keighley <nick_keighley_nos...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > Has anyone come across the "attorney pattern"?  If remember aright it
> > > gave controlled access to the private members of a class. The
> > > "attorney" class was a friend, with privileged access (hence attorney)
> > > which it then granted to a limited set of other classes. It could also
> > > provide access to some members and not others. It probably goes by
> > > other names. Googling for it was unproductive as it tended find stuff
> > > about attourneys...
>
> > > nick keighley
>
> > Proxy is used to "Provide a surrogate or placeholder for another object
> > to control access to it." Maybe Proxy is a generalization of your
> > "attorney pattern"?
>
> No.  He is referring to the C++ Attorney-Client Idiom, as published in
> Dr. Dobb's C++ User Journal.
>
> See:http://www.ddj.com/cpp/184402053

Also, I forgot to mention that many people THINK they want to use an
Attorney-Client Idiom when really likely want David R. Redell's
Caretaker pattern. Since Attorney-Client Idiom strictly violates OO
semantics, Caretaker repositions the problem as an Object-Capability
one.

For an overview, see the papers:
* Paradigm Lost: Abstraction Mechanisms for Access Control by Mark S.
Miller and Jonathan Shapiro
* Paradigm Regained: Abstraction Mechanisms for Access Control by Mark
S. Miller and Jonathan Shapiro