From: Marshall Barton on
David wrote:

>Hi, I am trying to have a 'time out' field auto populate when the user
>comes into the record the second time. The first time when the user
>creates the record, the 'time in' field is auto populated by the code:
>Format(Time(),"Medium Time") in the table's default value. The user
>opens the record the second time through a form. I have tried to use
>the above code in the empty 'time out' textbox's default value, but
>nothing happens. I have also tried 'if' statements in the 'on open
>Event Procedure', but have not been successful yet.

The DefaultValue property is only applied at the time of the
first character is entered in a NEW record. SInce the
record obviously exist the second time, this property is
useless for your purpose. The Open event is to soon to set
a control's value, so that won't work either.

OTOH, if the form is opened filtered to only the correct
record (this is essential), without having to navigate to
it, you can use the Load event procedure to set the time out
field's value:
Me.[time out] = Time()

BTW, your DefaultValue expression can simply use:
Time()

--
Marsh