From: Ian Kent on
On Fri, 2010-07-16 at 02:14 +0200, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
> 2010/7/6 Ian Kent <raven(a)themaw.net>:
> >

> > On 06/07/2010, at 7:35 PM, Arnd Bergmann <arnd(a)arndb.de> wrote:
> >

> >> Well, the only use of the BKL in autofs4 is in the ioctl function. You
> >> can probably replace that trivially with a global mutex, but from a quick
> >> inspection, even that should not be needed: The only ioctl command in
> >> autofs4 that does not already seem to have adequate locking is
> >> autofs4_get_set_timeout, which is even easier to change and still harmless
> >> if you don't do it at all.
> >
> > That's right of course.
> >
> > Even this shouldn't be a problem as it is called by a single instance, per autofs mount, of the daemon only. A fair amount of effort has gone into trying to make the autofs4 module independent of the BKL over time. However I would still rather not do the change concurrently with the ioctl changes.
> >
> > Ian
>

> In any case, can we let you handle this patch for 2.6.36 inclusion?

I think it makes more sense to keep these common patches together so
Arnd probably should keep it with his series.

Ian

From: Arnd Bergmann on
On Friday 16 July 2010, Ian Kent wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-07-16 at 02:14 +0200, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
> > 2010/7/6 Ian Kent <raven(a)themaw.net>:
> > In any case, can we let you handle this patch for 2.6.36 inclusion?
>
> I think it makes more sense to keep these common patches together so
> Arnd probably should keep it with his series.

I think that's fine. Takashi Iwai took the alsa patch, but the
rest can probably be merged together.

Frederic, would you like to add the remaining ioctl removal series
into your git tree and have Stephen pull that into linux-next?
I believe he's still pulling your tree anyway, although it doesn't
have much content at the moment.

Arnd
From: Frederic Weisbecker on
On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 01:05:31PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Friday 16 July 2010, Ian Kent wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-07-16 at 02:14 +0200, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
> > > 2010/7/6 Ian Kent <raven(a)themaw.net>:
> > > In any case, can we let you handle this patch for 2.6.36 inclusion?
> >
> > I think it makes more sense to keep these common patches together so
> > Arnd probably should keep it with his series.
>
> I think that's fine. Takashi Iwai took the alsa patch, but the
> rest can probably be merged together.
>
> Frederic, would you like to add the remaining ioctl removal series
> into your git tree and have Stephen pull that into linux-next?
> I believe he's still pulling your tree anyway, although it doesn't
> have much content at the moment.
>
> Arnd

Sure, I'll do that next week.

Thanks.