From: Murray Eisenberg on
I have a cell style, Exercise, in a style sheet that's just a variant of
Text style. Its definition includes option CounterIncrements->"Exercise".

That style sheet is applied to a notebook where I'm going to use that
style. Three questions:

(1) Is there some way of automatically having the number appear at the
beginning of any such cell when I create it -- without using menu item
Insert > Automatic Numbering.

(2) Is there some way of automatically having such a cell begin with the
text "Exercise"?

(3) Is there some way of automatically having such a cell begin with
"Exercise n. " where n is an actual automatic numbering counter value?

--
Murray Eisenberg murray(a)math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.

From: David Park on
What is really needed is a method, perhaps in Workbench, for users to design
their own paclet data structures. Then you could build a data file of
exercises, a data file of citations you might use, and other personally
useful data files.

Then you could, for example, draw randomly from an exercise file, number
them, format them differently if you wish and maybe do some processing such
as selecting random values and computing the answers on the side.

David Park
djmpark(a)comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: Simon on
Hi Murry,

I created a stylesheet which has automatic Exercise numbering and some
extra notebook functionality such as a button to step between
exercises.
You can see it in use in the 2nd year course that Paul Abbott teaches
http://units.physics.uwa.edu.au/information_for/current/second_year/am
The files for the course are in
http://ftp.physics.uwa.edu.au/pub/MATH2200/2010/

Essentially you need something like
Cell[StyleData["Exercise"], CellDingbat->TextData[{"Exercise ",
CounterBox["Exercise"], ": "}],
CounterIncrements->"Exercise", FontFamily->"Arial", FontSize->12,
FontWeight->"Bold"]

I can email you the styesheet and assignment template if you wish.

Simon